Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2004, 08:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Motor Swap?

Hi all, new to the forum. I was reading some earlier posts about an engine swap with a 3.4L motor? I would like to find out what motor this is and what kind of performance did you get? Any dyno #'s, etc.

I assume this makes the car completely non-street legal. At least here in Cali I'm pretty sure it is but who cares

amcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:05 PM   #2

Even in California I believe you match the smog equipment to the engine and car whichever is higher. Since you would be replacing your Boxster engine and exhaust with Porsche Carrera engine and exhaust of compatible/comparable year - it stays smog legal.
(caveat: I am a former Californian and have no legal training)
I haven't heard of anyone attempting a non-Porsche engine, but I have heard Audi has engines that mate well to the Porsche shared transmission. A Carrera engine will tromp a 1.8TT Audi engine so if you are looking for more power, the 3.4L is the way to go.

Read the archives and hang out at the Boxster Racing Board http://www.iq.dynip.com/~racing/index.cgi/index.cgi?
and listen to them comparing notes on ODB codes, air intake questions, etc. This is not a job for the timid. No real good dynos yet. Engine dynos should be very close to the Porsche 996 that donated the engine.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:33 PM   #3
Forum Member

Ok, now I have one more question. What's the latest model 911 motor that will fit in the Boxster and which model is the best? Obviously the 996 will have more power and the latest bells and whistles but can we use a 996 or are we limited to the 993 motor? Thanks for the info.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:07 PM   #4
b0xt0La

A 996 motor will fit the boxster, I think this kind of upgrade is called RUF. Porscheboy swaped his motor with a 3.2L. I heard people swaped their motor with a 3.4L. Roock can do the 3.4L swap for $15k I think. Someone in this board has done it. http://www.roockusa.com/
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 05:50 AM   #5

Here is my quote from Roock
Dear Bob,

The 986 RS 300 42 is $18,750.00(Parts) + $4375.00(labor), turnaround time for this job is 21(min)-28(max) days.We reqiure payment of special order parts upon order and balance of labor upon delivery of vehicle.

RSB 310 comes with a brand new 3.4L Engine,modified ECU and Engine Loom,Airbox and Airfilter,Stainlees Steel Sport Exhaust,Headers and 100 cell Catalytic Converter,Sport Clutch,estimated Topspeed 180 mph.

Thanks,

Gary
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:29 AM   #6
Forum Member

$18,750 for parts!!!!!!!?? Is they NUTZ!?
One thing I noticed though is they add other performance parts to it that aren't entirely necessary for just the motor swap. It's also the name. I'm positive I can get all the parts they're using for half that price. Time to do some digging.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:52 PM   #7
b0xt0La

Maybe you are better off selling your Boxster and buying a used 993 or 996 with that kind of money instead of spending it on all these upgrades. That's what I would do.

Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote