Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Everyone be safe

As this virus ramps up and our ability to live our normal daily lives decreases I wan't to let you all know to follow the government directions and stay safe. As much as some of us disagree with each other about guns, cats, oil and even cars i think of you all like a family. Hopefully soon the only things we have to worry about things relating to this forum.

Tommy

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #2

Thanks, Tommy. These are scary times indeed. Take care of yourselves, everyone.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #3

In our neck of the woods, its spring break and folks have been coming to the beach. Most have been fine, staying safe distances apart and just enjoying the beautiful weather.

Then there's the college and high school kids. They are immortal...just ask them. They were defiant on TV. Nobody or no virus is going to keep them from having a good time. Its THEIR Spring break dammit!!
So today, we've closed our beaches. Hopefully, they'll go home and we can wait this thing out.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:38 PM   #4

Am I the only person who's looking forward to catching it? I mostly want to get it over with but I also like the excitement of surviving something that's killing other people
Old 03-21-2020, 03:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Am I the only person who's looking forward to catching it? I mostly want to get it over with but I also like the excitement of surviving something that's killing other people
Well, if you catch it let us know so we can all congratulate you!

Last edited by piper6909; 03-21-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
I literally laughed out loud, love it.......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Well, if you catch it let us know so we can all congratulate you!
I'll probably be the one who doesn't get the virus. My wife and I will probably would have killed each other by the time this is over though.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
I really have mixed feelings about this. I'm healthy and not quite 60 yet, so I expect that if I do catch it, it won't be that bad. On the other hand I have followed along with the account of someone who has just gone through it and there were several times that he was not sure that he'd make it through the next 48 hours -and seemed willing to accept that end rather than continue. I have witnessed people in severe respiratory distress, struggling for one more breath, then the next, and still not getting the life they need from the air they fought to push. Not what I want to see or experience. Then there's the though of unknowingly having it and passing it to a loved one who does not do as well.

I work in close quarters with emergency medical personnel and am frequently exposed to sick people. I suppose it's inevitable, but I do not look forward to it and will continue to try to prevent it.

Here's the CDC page for anyone interested. Probably better info than you get from people trying to sensationalize and politicize it in the news:
www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I really have mixed feelings about this. I'm healthy and not quite 60 yet, so I expect that if I do catch it, it won't be that bad. On the other hand I have followed along with the account of someone who has just gone through it and there were several times that he was not sure that he'd make it through the next 48 hours -and seemed willing to accept that end rather than continue. I have witnessed people in severe respiratory distress, struggling for one more breath, then the next, and still not getting the life they need from the air they fought to push. Not what I want to see or experience. Then there's the though of unknowingly having it and passing it to a loved one who does not do as well.

I work in close quarters with emergency medical personnel and am frequently exposed to sick people. I suppose it's inevitable, but I do not look forward to it and will continue to try to prevent it.

Here's the CDC page for anyone interested. Probably better info than you get from people trying to sensationalize and politicize it in the news:
www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html?
I live in Southern Spain, and this isn't like any flu and affects everyone in different ways. Watching the government set up emergency hospitals in large warehouses and they are now using the Ice Palace in Madrid for a cold storage for the dead. This really is scary. I have underlying issues and high risk under 60. Social distancing will hopefully flatten the curve so the hospitals can have enough supplies doctors and beds.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yes here in New York we are getting hit with it pretty bad. I'm lucky that I live far enough from the city that our cases aren't out of control yet. Everyone stay safe. Yes even you Woody
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Yes here in New York we are getting hit with it pretty bad. I'm lucky that I live far enough from the city that our cases aren't out of control yet. Everyone stay safe. Yes even you Woody
Safety last is my motto. One of my neighbors thinks he has it and i joked with my wife that I was going to go over to his place and kiss him so I can get it. All jokes aside, I'd rather get it now then during or after the rush.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Safety last is my motto. One of my neighbors thinks he has it and i joked with my wife that I was going to go over to his place and kiss him so I can get it. All jokes aside, I'd rather get it now then during or after the rush.
Believe it or not, the same thoughts came across my mind. If I'm going to get it, I'd rather get it before the hospitals are inundated. Although if you tell everybody, you'll defeat your purpose! HAHA! Luckily the sane part of me took over and I opted to try to avoid it altogether.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #13
NewUserName

Quote:
Exactly what motivated me to got to Vietnam - NOT.
I was taking a long walk and saw a house - had at least 10 cars and a whole bunch of people having a BBQ - I wanted to yell over and ask if it was an idiot convention.
If only the virus would only attack those with lowest IQs....

Last edited by DoninDel; 03-27-2020 at 12:29 PM. Reason: edited out **************************** convention
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
Exactly what motivated me to got to Vietnam - NOT.
I was taking a long walk and saw a house - had at least 10 cars and a whole bunch of people having a BBQ - I wanted to yell over and ask if it was an idiot convention.
If only the virus would only attack those with lowest IQs....
Nope, it's attacking everyone. It's inevitable. Young or old, rich or poor, we're all going to get it at some point and some of us are going to die. I don't wan to die, but if it's my time it's my time. We all have to die eventually. Sitting in fear is no way to die for me
Old 03-28-2020, 04:01 AM   #15
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
...follow the government directions...
Pffffft.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:19 AM   #16
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It's turning out to be a pretty strong allergy season here in NE Oklahoma. That has caused plenty of people with allergy symptoms to call EMS in a panic when all they need is a Claritin. Still, there have been some legit cases and the numbers are on the rise quickly now. A local ambulance crew is confirmed positive, young kids, one doing okay, the other not so good. I have daily close contact with people who were in close contact with them. Given that it can stay asymptomatic for a while and still be transmitted, anyone in my 'social cluster' has already been exposed to whatever I have been exposed to.
In other news, I can confirm that people can still get a case of Corona at the local grocery store.

Wash your hands. Don't touch your face.