Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2015, 02:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno View Post
That's why you have law enforcement units.
Anyway, I don't want to ignite a firearms legislation debate, that is not the place for it
Then you shouldn't have made such an idiotic statement here.
You don't get to say something inflammatory and then cry "this isn't the place".

CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
You don't get to say something inflammatory and then cry "this isn't the place".
I would argue his statement is not idiotic at all, but in fact, quite true. But then again, I'm writing this from Canada, where we have very strict gun laws....which results in very low gun violence.

I also agree that no good can come from debating this here....this is a topic where logic steps out and emotion steps in.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:12 AM   #23
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
For a minute there I thought I clicked on Timco's shooters thread.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #24

Well here we go

Decided to drive the 911 to work about 30 min drive. a hole decided to ride my tail, so I ignored him (good for me) he then passed me on the shoulder (nice) nice single finger suggestions not watching the road and at the last moment he saw the cop car braked but to late. Blue lights and he I think he is still explaining what his grand master plan was to drive on the shoulder. Karma is a real MF.
pieter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #25
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter1 View Post
Decided to drive the 911 to work about 30 min drive. a hole decided to ride my tail, so I ignored him (good for me) he then passed me on the shoulder (nice) nice single finger suggestions not watching the road and at the last moment he saw the cop car braked but to late. Blue lights and he I think he is still explaining what his grand master plan was to drive on the shoulder. Karma is a real MF.
Nice! Gotta love that karma!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #26
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter1 View Post
don't ya just love when stuff like that happens :dance:

Just curious, what was the icehole driving?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
I would argue his statement is not idiotic at all, but in fact, quite true. But then again, I'm writing this from Canada, where we have very strict gun laws....which results in very low gun violence.

I also agree that no good can come from debating this here....this is a topic where logic steps out and emotion steps in.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Says more about you than me....
Old 09-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Idiotic because you think different? :ah:
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #30
I am my own mechanic....

Well, gun control it is.

We are raised (in many states) in this Nation around guns like those in Canada are raised around bagged milk. It becomes the norm, and something that's a part of life. You wouldn't want me telling you after all these years that you can't have bagged milk because some people use it for evil or are not mentally stable enough to own and use bagged milk. What did my bagged milk do to anyone? I have been enjoying it quietly for years with no harm to anyone.

I am the first to admit not everyone is stable or mature enough to own firearms. What is the answer? I can't begin to say. I have my ideas. What I can say is it's not my fault I was born in a country that allows me to be an enthusiast and collect the guns I am interested in. I obey gun laws, am respectful of other shooters, keep them secure, and do believe they are too accessible to bad and mentally ill people. I would rather see some compromise on registration or back ground checks before I see my rights jeopardized by the actions of others.

Having said that, I respect the opinions of the left that some type of action needs to be taken, because it's proving to not be working at the moment. Enforce existing laws. Get criminals off the streets. Bring back the insane asylums. Heck, I don't know.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #31
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
don't ya just love when stuff like that happens :dance:

Just curious, what was the icehole driving?
I was driving the speed limit in the right lane passing an entrance ramp when I heard loud engine noise off my right rear corner. At that point I noticed a pickup truck apparently at wide open throttle racing up the ramp determined to cut me off. He didn't notice the car behind him was a cop. I moved over a lane to get myself, and my daughter out of the idiots way just as the red and blue lights came on. Occasionally there is a cop when you need one!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Idiotic because you think different? :ah:
Not at all. Idiotic because only idiots think disarming law abiding citizens who aren't committing crimes will keep the bad guys from doing wrong.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Not at all. Idiotic because only idiots think disarming law abiding citizens who aren't committing crimes will keep the bad guys from doing wrong.
And allowing "law abiding citizens" to own firearms prevent "bad guys from doing wrong"? Do I have to understand that "more arms = less crime"?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #34
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
And allowing "law abiding citizens" to own firearms prevent "bad guys from doing wrong"? Do I have to understand that "more arms = less crime"?
It's actually a fact in many major cities, but likely has more to do with wealth in certain areas and demographics than the concealed or open carried gun.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Yes and no. Yes that is correct but no I don't expect you to understand.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #36

Quote:
It's amazing us Canadians, and those Brits, and those Australians and New Zealanders haven't all killed each other, what with no guns to protect themselves. Damn Gun Control has made our countries so unsafe!!

Oh well, I guess we will just have to live with all our school shootings and stay inside all night.

And Timco - don't you DARE touch our bagged milk!!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
I will assume this is just a question of education and cultural difference...
I don't expect you to understand there are other point of views than the US mainstream
Old 09-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #38

"According to 2009 data collected by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), the U.S. sees 3.3 homicides by firearm for every 100,000 citizens. By comparison, Canada's rate is 0.5 homicides and the U.K. is 0.1. Most European countries sit somewhere in the same range."

Again, I reiterate....I don't believe this is the place for a debate on gun control. Far too emotional for a rational INTERNET debate....

No one is going to change anyone else's opinion on this. Just like I will NEVER EVER move ANYWHERE where they don't have bagged milk.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #39
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I though this was a car forum...?
Off-topic discussion or not, take the gun debate to a gun or political forum. That crap has no business here and will only create issues.

Jeebus...

Side note: drinks in bags = weird.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 AM   #40

You will never guese

A Chevy Volt LOL electric car drivers. They should use some good old fashioned crude to run there cars and they would feel better.

pieter1 is offline   Reply With Quote