Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

Any F150 owners here?

Just wondering. I'm about to unload my 550i on some unsuspecting slob who has no idea it's a $5k a year repair nightmare and get a Ford truck.

Found a 2010 F150 Lariat with 141k on it (all highway miles, oil changed every 5k with a carfax report to prove it and full maintenance records).

Should I be concerned with the mileage? Not planning to drive this truck every day, and my commute is only 8 miles each way. It would mostly be used for hauling the boxster to the track and our NC Tail of the Dragon vacation each year and Saturday trips to Home Depot for lumber and yard crap.

Dealer wants $18k for it. Loaded with towing package and every electronic doo dad they sold that year plus a bed cover and ventilated leather seats. Similar vehicles with average mileage are in the mid $20k range and that's way over my budget. I cannot let this purchase derail my 991S funding in 2017!!!!

Feedback welcome.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #2

It seems that all the electronic doo dads are what prevent cars from working properly.

If I were to buy a truck for basic hauling duty I'd also buy a proven workhorse like the F150, Silverado etc but get an older one with less miles on it, and less fancy doo dad stuff and save another 5K.

Something around $10k -$12k would be just as good and you'll be 5k closer to your next fun project
Focus your priorities man, you need the $$$ for another Porsche.

Those workhorse trucks seem to last forever and the less doo dads the easier they are to keep running for cheap.

I have a 99 Wrangler where the only maintenance I've had in the 9 years I've owned it was tires, a gas cap to satisfy the SMOG testing, 1 starter motor due to repeatedly drowning it in the lake while launching Seadoos and yearly +- oil changes depending on how the oil looks on the dipstick.

Its got no extra doo dads but the stereo and AC. Its extremely reliable.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote