Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

Pca

Is anyone here, currently or previously, a member of PCA? What is/are the benefits, plusses of membership?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #2

If nothing else...

- decent national magazine each month
- decent region mag each month (depending on region)
- 15% discount on parts at dealers

From there, you'll get as much out of your local club as much as you put in. Typically though, lots of track/DE/AX events and a fair number of social events. Take your choice.

Plenty of benefits for just $45 / year if you ask me.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I'm probably not renewing my membership next year. Most events in my region seem geared for folks who have owned a Porsche for 35 years and who are into the "wine and cheese" scene. Not exactly my gig but lots of folks are really into it so I'd tell anyone to give it a try and see if you like it. Might just be your thing.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #4

Having been a past president of the PCA I can say that if you are going to join a region find out where their priorities lie. Most of use are close enough to consider different regions. Some are into social things, some are into racing and some are into everything. Figure out what you want out of the club and what your expectations are and go from there. And as said before, " The more you put in, the more you get out". Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #5

Sounds like I should try for a year at least. I've not seen much activity around here but a wine and cheese mixer after a get together of some sort might be nice. As I end up in L.A. And other places for a few weeks at a time, can you attend another region/club's event if you're in the area at the time?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

The RMR PCA is pretty diverse. I liked it but I was in Ft Collins, so I wasn't close to most of the activities. They run events at High Plains Raceway, which is new and great from what I understand. They're a very active club with lots of choices in what kinds of activities you can participate in.

I don't get much from Panaroma. Kind of useless to me. I don't remember ever getting a local club publication. It looks like they have a newsletter.

Now I'm in the PNWR PCA and I use my membership for AX and DE's. Althought the tours would be great, the family has outgrown the Boxster so I don't go on those.

If you're a national PCA member, you should be able to participate in events in other regions. I know you could in the PNWR anyway. Might want to check with the LA PCA to be sure.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
Administrator

Pca

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
I'm probably not renewing my membership next year. Most events in my region seem geared for folks who have owned a Porsche for 35 years and who are into the "wine and cheese" scene. Not exactly my gig but lots of folks are really into it so I'd tell anyone to give it a try and see if you like it. Might just be your thing.
Which zone are you a member of? Each Zone does different things, what type of activities would you like to do with your PCA group? I may be able to point you in the right direction of one that can meet your needs.
Trinidad at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #8

I have never had a problem attending other region functions. Most members enjoy guests at their functions. The saying goes" It's not the cars it's the people " Some region consider it a social club, others consider it a driving club, but the most successful regions offer varied functions so that all can get involved in something. If you join and like some things but not others volunteer to help improve those which interest you the most. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinidadatPelican
Which zone are you a member of? Each Zone does different things, what type of activities would you like to do with your PCA group? I may be able to point you in the right direction of one that can meet your needs.
I am in Zone 8, San Gabriel Valley Region. I am mostly interested in track events which isn't this region's strong point, so I joined the Porsche Owners Club (POC) which is highly focused on DE/TT/Racing track events every month.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
I am in Zone 8, San Gabriel Valley Region. I am mostly interested in track events which isn't this region's strong point, so I joined the Porsche Owners Club (POC) which is highly focused on DE/TT/Racing track events every month.
Thomas,
Come out and play with us in PCA-GPX. We have a lot of members from the greater LA area who were looking for a more active region. Lots of track days and time trials and a good group of people. One of my Cayman students from SGV: Glen Orton has been doing both PCA and POC and has adopted GPX.

GPX.PCA.org

Last edited by Topless; 09-17-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Administrator

Pca/poc

PCA-GPX is def. a very active region. I attended quite a few driving events with them, just look at the schedule they have posted to see what your interested in. POC is a great one if you really want to focus on more track time and racing.
Trinidad at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #12

Garage
I just joined and it looks like a great value to me.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #13

Great

Great information. Thanks all. I'll give it a try for at least the next year.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
If nothing else...

- decent national magazine each month
- decent region mag each month (depending on region)
- 15% discount on parts at dealers

From there, you'll get as much out of your local club as much as you put in. Typically though, lots of track/DE/AX events and a fair number of social events. Take your choice.

Plenty of benefits for just $45 / year if you ask me.

We get 15% off parts??

The social events are the best part for me. Not only to network but to meet enthusiasts within the community. Worth the $45 membership for sure!

In our region we do monthly coffee runs that are well organized and take us to parts of our community that I probably would never venture to.
VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Steve - I joined in July, there are a lot of events that I simply don't have the time for but I like the option to when I do. I went to an event in Aug and really had a blast...met some really cool folks. I went to my first area meeting the other night and felt very welcome. You'll get out of it what you want. For the price you can't beat it when one thinks of how much other clubs cost in life.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #16

Thanks for all the responses. I have joined and waiting for the packet and events schedule. I guess the worst that will happen is meeting a few like-minded Porsche fans.