Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #1

Ipad2

Stood in line all freakin' day and got it. 6th in line and 1st out the door. I was a rock star for 2 minutes there. News cameras, flashes going off, and people wanting pics of it. It's a cool little device too.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Stood in line all freakin' day and got it. 6th in line and 1st out the door. I was a rock star for 2 minutes there. News cameras, flashes going off, and people wanting pics of it. It's a cool little device too.
I'm impressed that they can barely tweak a year old product and have people standing in line for it. It's even more impressive than the fact that they can take an old concept like the tablet and make people care about it at all when no one else could make the same thing work.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I'm impressed that they can barely tweak a year old product and have people standing in line for it. It's even more impressive than the fact that they can take an old concept like the tablet and make people care about it at all when no one else could make the same thing work.
Their marketing works quite well, it seems
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #4

I like my 1st gen and can see a need for the new one other than I could leave it in my studio and have the 2nd one for everything else.
Chris
Old 03-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

My iPad2 is supposed to be delivered next Friday. Can't wait!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s

I think its more impressive that they can convince people that they have no need for basic services like flash and get away with it.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #7

I was one of the first on the Ipad 1 band wagon. What a freakin hassle to find one of those. "Hello Welcome to Mapple Short HIlls how can I direct your call. No we don't have Mypads, no we don't know when we'll have more Mypads".
This was after about 65 rings....

Finnaly some young Mapple employe with a fully developed frontal lobe tells me that I can dispense with all the phone calls and add my name to a list and they'll reserve one for me when the next truck load arrives. I get the call and run down to a mall I never go to, pay for the mypad and just make my flight down to Florida to give mummy her mummy's day gift. EVERYONE was staring at this thing at the gate and on the plane. It's like a giant Apple Touch!
While in Floridar I stopped by one of the Mapple stores in Orlando and noticed that Brazilians were buying multiples and stuffing them into their backpacks to take home where they could sell them for $1K a pop due to their import duties. Steve Jobs refuses to open a Mapple store in Rio for the Olympics until they lower the taxes but apparently they told him to play by the same rules Bill Gates has to play by.

I'm going to wait for the 4G Mypad to come out before upgrading the old lady's new toy. I went to see the Moto Xoom at the Verizon store and was not impressed from a hardware point of view...very thick and heavy. Although a no-Flash tablet is a deal-breaker so no Mypad for me. . Mapple has too many sandbox rules. But the screen on my Droid X is so big it recently seems redundant to carry around a tablet at all. I give it about a year before the Android tablets step up there game to be a good proposition to Mapple like some of the phones are now. In the meantime Steve "hold your phone like this" Jobs is going to clean house. I bet that stock goes to $600.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-22-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #8

"I'm going to wait for the 4G Mypad to come out before upgrading the old lady's new toy"

PerfectLap, this is the very reason I went with the WIFI model. We're between Gs right now on cellular speeds and I hate to buy an iPad that can't be upgraded.

I sure wish other electronic products were upgradeable like my Valentine One radar detector. No need to buy a new model... just send in the old one for a cheap update to the newest technology.

That's how more things we buy should be in my opinion.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #9

interesting...I think the guy at the Verizon store at Costco said they could do 4G upgrade on the 3G Xoom tablet hardware.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #10

Garage
Im going to wait for the Blackberry playbook. It looks like a workhorse. QNX software based on adobe air with dual core processors with 1gb RAM... not bad for a tablet.

plus HD video processing.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #11

^ don't you have to tether that to get internet?

by the bid interest on the Ipad 2 on Ebay is not as strong as the last time around for the Ipad 1. Inventory must be strong at the Mapple stores.