Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 06:20 AM   #1

Keyless remote starters??? Good or Bad???

Does anyone know if it is a good idea to get a keyless remote start put on an 03 Tiptronic Boxster? I have had one on every car I have owned up until now. I have a trust-worthy guy that does all the dealers work that can do it for $300. I think he is going to hardwire it (where you dont have to have a key in the ignition). It is a great thing. I had a Chrysler 300m that I did it on and you could start it from inside the house and in order to put it in gear, you had to insert the key and turn it (otherwise the car would shut off).

I just bought this car this week and new to the whole "Porsche" thing. Also, what are some good upgrades I should do rightaway?

MrBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
bmussatti

Why?

Waste gas.

Bad idea.

Better to drive the car, as a "warm-up" procedure. Not ideling.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:15 AM   #3

I have no idea what to tell you on the remote starter. However, on mods, I would recomend your first mod to be driving school. You'll quickly discover your car is nearly perfect in every way... the Porsche engineers are well paid for a reason... they're smart!

Lots of owners say the car is too quiet, and an aftermarket exhaust will fix it, but you must choose carefully. The twin compartment setups do cause some resonance in the 2-3k range. I put on a set of headers and muffler from delubozParts (forum sponsor) and got 18 hp out of it (headers did this) and a MUCH louder car. I love it, but the wife finds it a little annoying.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #4

Mr Boxster,

I got my wife a remote start for her Mustang last year and she loves it.

It is nice that she can warm up the car in the winter, and cool it off in the summer.

I would not recommend it for a stick shift, but I don't see why not for a tip.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Why?

Waste gas.

Bad idea.

Better to drive the car, as a "warm-up" procedure. Not ideling.
I dont agree, Good Idea... hot climate area like TX or CA in the summer, its good to remote start it and allow the AC to cool the interior.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:18 AM   #6

Not sure about modern computer controlled engines at idle, but I'd think you'd get enrichment to a greater degree than cruising at 2000 rpm until warm.

The trouble this causes can be to have unburned gas wash oil from cylinder walls.

I do know my 914-6's Webers idle circuits dump fuel initially, and I'd never let it idle for more than about 30 seconds. Same as I do for the Box.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I dont agree, Good Idea... hot climate area like TX or CA in the summer, its good to remote start it and allow the AC to cool the interior.
It may be "good" for you from a comfort standpoint, but it is not, for the car, not to mention the waste of gas which was bmussatti's point.

Starting and idling a cold motor to "warm it up" only prolongs the period of time it will be running BELOW normal operating temperature.

As for the remote starter - with the above in mind, I don't see much point to having one - but if you want the gadget, get one! I'd say walk up to the car, stick the key in and twist, drop top if at all possible and drive away!

Last edited by John Y; 12-22-2006 at 01:01 PM.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
well having the remote start, doesnt mean you have to use it every time you goto start your car... Its like the AC auto feature, just cause its there, doesnt mean you have to use it every time your in the car. Its luxury for those days where you wish you had remote start to cool the interior or warm it on those very cold or hot days when the car is parked outside.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote