Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2024, 09:13 AM   #1

986 slow cranking when hot

New to this site, but have posted this before but unable to see it so will try again.

Question and answer.

Had a 2001, 3.2s Boxster for 3 years. Bought with full service history and a war and peace of invoices including IMS bearing and rear engine oil seal. That is why we bought it.(59K)
Issue with starter after 3 weeks so I replaced it with a no-name off the internet. This worked fine so did not think about it any more.
After two years the cranking over got slower and especially when hot, to the point we only went somewhere if we were staying for half an hour.
Checked all postings and threads and they all either pointed towards an earthing problem, battery, alternator, connections, or the cable between the starter - alternator- under engine connection point. (apparently the crimping on the terminals was suspect on up to 2003 models.)
Replaced all of these (battery, alternator, cable, and tested all earths and positives, including adding an extra earth to the engine). ------ no change. This only left the starter motor I had previously changed, so I purchased a proper Bosch starter and fitted it.
No more issues what so ever. The car turns over hot or cold like a normal vehicle.

Hope this helps someone.

brittanyplumber is offline   Reply With Quote