Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2024, 03:05 PM   #1
Still Ticking Along

Just helping out

Hello folks,
Ihave a friend that just purchased a 2002 Boxster, and asked if I would help him replace the automatic transmission for him. As I will be doing 95% of the work, as he broke his back a few years ago, and I want to do him right to learn everything I can about the process. As I am no spring chicken either at 63, but I work on my own vehicles (2 Jeeps-1981 CJ5 & 1984 Grand Wagoneer), and he has called multiple places which refuse to touch the job.
My initial look, it is not so much a physical task but need to be aware what your doing, and document everything so it goes back in how it came out.....same I do now on my Jeeps. I have all the tools needed, just want to be sure the automatic transmission actually needs replaced. He said the car will be to his home on Sunday so I have until then to research, and looking already it could be cables or other possibilities, than the transmission itself. Will know more when the car is here, and can start it to diagnose better than just what he knows right now. He bought the car as is, with PO telling him it needed a transmission, but learned in life experience to diagnose first, no matter what I was told.
So.....appreciate any feedback, assistance, suggestions where to look, and any pictures to show what to look at. Help me help my friend
Thanks

devildog80 is offline   Reply With Quote