Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2023, 09:20 PM   #1
Who's askin'?

Maytag's back. Kinda.

Hey y'all! Hope everyone's been well!?

My son just picked up a 986S, and is beginning work on it.

As he's 3 states away from me (he's in Texas) I'm not as much help as I'd like to be.

BUT: I told him to join the community here and ask questions.

So when you see him, be nice to him. Or not.... if you can't help yourselves. Hahaha.

Miss you guys!

Since i was here last, I helped my wife decide to retire. This brought many changes to my life; most notably that we moved to a 110 yr old farm house and started raising alpacas.

Pfft.

Yesterday, my garage was repurposed as an equine surgical center.

Last night I took delivery of a 1934 chevy pickup.

Today i picked up a kubota tractor/ loader/backhoe.

Heck; I even own a pickup truck now! (It's a king ranch though, so I hope I can be forgiven, lol)

I'll poke my head in every once in a while, to see what my son's up to, and to say hi to y'all.

Happy 986 to y'all! (Yeah, I dunno what that means either)

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:43 PM   #2

Well, shoot, ‘tag—if no one else’ll say ‘Hi’ I guess at least lowly Frodo here could do so. I miss hearing those home baked pearls of wisdom of yours, dispatched our way with that off-center, off-kilter (and probably mildly deranged) sense of humor of yours. Uncle Fester indeed.

Hope the kid does stop by, pick up where the old man left off. How will we know him? Will he confess to the connection? Will he want to be recognized??

My wife retired fairly recently as well, and you’re right: that does bring changes. I still do some animal surgery myself, though nothing bigger than a Great Dane. Who’s surgicating horses in your garage??

Glad you stopped by—and don’t be a stranger. Rest assured that at least one person out there will read any and all posts that drift this way from you..

BTW, a Kubota tractor??? You couldn’t find one of these??

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

Ha! Thanks Frodo. I was beginning to wonder if I was invisible. haha. Where are all the muck-rakers, telling me to go back where I came from? lol

If Porsche had an affordable front-end loader, I may well have gone that way. alas..... affordable continues to be a relative term. I guess.

I've attached some photos, of the current day-to-day goings-on.

You might recall when I bowed-out here, I said it was to go to a "different platform".

Last Spring I bought this Maserati GT/MC to be my daily-driver, and wrapped it in "Vampire Red"

In October we found my wife's daddy's old '34 Chevy:

Last week I found her one that drives, while I go through the rusty one.

two sunday's ago we got 21" of snow overnight. Then the temps dropped to 31 below zero (that's F) for several nights, with daytime highs in the single-digits.

Here's the Horse we were "surgery-ing" on saturday:

And my wife's favorite Horse Chula, who stands about 38" tall.

and that's it. Now you;re all caught up on Uncle Fester's daily shenanigans.

Nothing to see here...... move-along. ;-)

So are you also retired? or just your wife?
Old 02-07-2023, 10:20 AM   #4

Welcome back sort of -- where in Texas?

Have P-car contacts all around if he needs guidance.

mike in Austin.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Welcome back! Kinda. I was just wondering the other day what ever happened...
I've hit my 60s now and think about retiring from time to time, but If I stopped going to work, I'd never have time to get away from all the projects and rest.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:14 PM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post

mike in Austin.
thanks Mike!
He's in San Antonio.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:18 PM   #7
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Welcome back! Kinda. I was just wondering the other day what ever happened...
I've hit my 60s now and think about retiring from time to time, but If I stopped going to work, I'd never have time to get away from all the projects and rest.
yeah, I heard that.
This summer as I was focused on building barns and fences and paddocks and wrangling alpacas and goats and ..... well, you get the idea..... I thought I'd found the Benjamin-Button button. I felt like I was getting younger every day. And then covid got us in October and I didn't get the projects ready before snow started flying. So with a combination of "make-do" and "get'er-dun" we're getting-by. But I feel older every day.

I'm like you've described though; there will ALWAYS be more to do than I can actually get to.

I've apologized in advance to my children who are bound to wake-up on a Saturday morning and hate me because they don't know how to sleep-in and relax.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:09 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post

mike in Austin.
Not to hijack the thread...

Mike,

I'm in Austin looking for a good indy for a motor problem in my 996
Trying to find one that know M96 motors and is not crazy $$

Let me know if you have a recommendation

thanks]
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post

So are you also retired? or just your wife?
Nah, slave-driver that she is she's not about to stand for a total cessation of all current income. But I've at least achieved the status of partial retirement. Which I actually kinda like. I am, and have for many years been an independent contractor clinician, doing what is traditionally referred to as "relief work." Having tired of decades of dealing with sometimes-difficult clients in exam rooms, I've settled into doing just surgery, 1-2 days/week at a local small animal clinic. Tuck me away in a back room surgical suite with just my surgical tech, my patients, and my music and I'm happy as a clam. I also do an occasional vaccine clinic with an outfit out of California called VIP Petcare. They do these wellness and preventative care clinics in a number of states, including Ohio, working out of Pet Supplies Plus and Tractor Supply stores. The beauty of relief work is that I can work as much or as little as I want. Not a bad deal.

31° below?? Geeeez, that's seriously cold. Don't think I've ever experienced anything colder than -15° or so....child's play, eh? I remember that morning (this was in Manhattan, KS) because I had an old carbureted Opel and the gas line froze up on me. Carried a number of plastic bags full of warm water, one after another, out to the garage to set on top of the exposed carburetor—it eventually thawed it out.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
thanks Mike!
He's in San Antonio.
Jones is well known in San Antonio -- and Soulspeed and Esses is located just north of San Marcos.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:35 AM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Maytag... nice to hear from you, and glad to hear you're doing well.

Alpacas, that's great! Brother does mini goats. Well... he doesn't "do" them, he raises them. Always busy as likely are you.

Identify your son's name so we'll know from which cloth he was born. We'll be nice to him.

Cheers, and report back once in a while.