Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #1

Garage
New Owner-North Alabama

Good morning! New owner here, located in North Alabama USA. Picked up my 2000 with 65k miles on Tuesday. The wife and I just wanted a cruiser and I went with auto to make it easier for her. We plan to do a top down cruise thru the Florida Keys this winter once I recover from my last round of chemotherapy, I have Lymphoma.
Has a few things I need to address but overall in good shape.

Rear window has cracks- asking local upholstery guy who is redoing the seats for my 1980 Fiat Spider if he can sew in a new one, he hasnt replied to me yet. I joined the Boxster group on FB and a couple suggested a new top and glass rear window but with replacing all the brakes and full new stereo system I will need to wait on that a bit, havent really sourced them or seen what they would cost.

Brake rotors seem really wore, already ordered replacements with pads all the way around.

Radio is locked and asking for a code. Ordered a new Media Player and going to look at adding new amp and speakers.

Going to move the climate control down out of the way to fit the new double DIN screen.

Rear trunk Boxster emblem is broken some. Going to machine something new for that.

Bulb behind the digital read out under the tach is out. I can barely see the numbers and will get to this when I work on the dash for the head unit etc.

I have my own machine shop in the back yard, I own www.printermods.com, and looking to make a few unique pieces for it, have them anodized then laser engrave on them.

Really love the car! Last night the wife and I went on a 60 mile cruise on back roads in the mountains of North Alabama and twisted and turned and had a blast. I would say that the wife had less fun getting all the snarls out her hair after we got home but a benefit of the chemo is no hair so it was fine for me! HA!

Apparently cant use Google Photos to insert an image so I will just have to post without.

MatthewBasarabea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewBasarabea View Post
Good morning! New owner here, located in North Alabama USA. Picked up my 2000 with 65k miles on Tuesday. The wife and I just wanted a cruiser and I went with auto to make it easier for her. We plan to do a top down cruise thru the Florida Keys this winter once I recover from my last round of chemotherapy, I have Lymphoma.
Has a few things I need to address but overall in good shape.

Rear window has cracks- asking local upholstery guy who is redoing the seats for my 1980 Fiat Spider if he can sew in a new one, he hasnt replied to me yet. I joined the Boxster group on FB and a couple suggested a new top and glass rear window but with replacing all the brakes and full new stereo system I will need to wait on that a bit, havent really sourced them or seen what they would cost.

Brake rotors seem really wore, already ordered replacements with pads all the way around.

Radio is locked and asking for a code. Ordered a new Media Player and going to look at adding new amp and speakers.

Going to move the climate control down out of the way to fit the new double DIN screen.

Rear trunk Boxster emblem is broken some. Going to machine something new for that.

Bulb behind the digital read out under the tach is out. I can barely see the numbers and will get to this when I work on the dash for the head unit etc.

I have my own machine shop in the back yard, I own www.printermods.com, and looking to make a few unique pieces for it, have them anodized then laser engrave on them.

Really love the car! Last night the wife and I went on a 60 mile cruise on back roads in the mountains of North Alabama and twisted and turned and had a blast. I would say that the wife had less fun getting all the snarls out her hair after we got home but a benefit of the chemo is no hair so it was fine for me! HA!

Apparently cant use Google Photos to insert an image so I will just have to post without.
Welcome to the forum, FYI, I think it's the 2nd week in October that's "Biker" week. You do NOT want to drive down to the Keys with motorcycles clogging up the roads! Are you in Huntsville?
Old 06-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Welcome to the forum, FYI, I think it's the 2nd week in October that's "Biker" week. You do NOT want to drive down to the Keys with motorcycles clogging up the roads! Are you in Huntsville?
No I am near Gadsden. I have 10 acres about 12 miles out of town. I make a run to Huntsville every week to drop parts off an my anodize supplier though.

We are planning more in December or January when it is colder here and we will enjoy it more.
MatthewBasarabea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum! I am flying into Huntsville in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #5

Hello everyone, I am in Devon in the UK and have purchased a 2003 facelift 986 2.7 manual in Lapis Blue a couple of weeks ago. I am looking forward to being part of the forum as the car has a few minor issues to attend to such as cosmetics, interior cleaning, an oil change, wheel refurbishment hood re-dying and so on. I got a great deal though for a 75,000 mile car with some nice extras and a mainly Porsche full service history until 2019. I have already interpreted the option codes, so here is a list:

C16 UK Spec
XRA 17" SportClassic wheels, front 7" ET55 with 205/50 tyres, rear 8.5" ET50 with 255/40
XTC Leather door panel parts
197 Stronger battery - fitted, still present and new
232 Internal production code related to tyres
342 Seat heating
424 CD compartment
440 Antenna and speakers - the antenna may have been disconnected at some time
441 Radio preparation
454 Automatic speed control
490 Sound system (6 speakers) - I am not sure what make that is.
502 Produced at Valmet plant in Uusikaupunki, Finland
551 Wind deflector
567 Top-tinted windscreen
571 Activated charcoal filter - it is an ex smoker's car and has an ash tray also
573 Automatic air conditioning
584 Storage box (incl. speakers) on engine cover
659 On-board computer
665 PCM 2 Porsche Communication Management incl. radio, CD
670 Navigation module for PCM
692 6-disc CD changer Becker Porsche CDC-3 - not working and my first attempt at repair failed
981 Leather dashboard and door panels
983 Leather seats

I would like to get a hard top eventually as well.

Thanks for looking, pictures to follow and any comments will be welcome.

Devon98627lapis is offline   Reply With Quote