Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #1

Let the fun begin

Hey guys,
Picked up a manual 2000 Boxster S with about 70k miles on it about 2 months ago, for the girlfriend, and have been leaning heavy on this forum to go through all the little things that needed fixing on it.

It joined a family of a manual 2011 Mustang GT convertible, a 2009 Chrysler Aspen with a bad disposition, an automatic 86 Corvette and a 2013 Hyundai Sonata for the kids.
Coz somehow stick is too hard, the Aspen too big and the Vette lacks tech (?).

Personally I know which car I wouldn't have picked at that age but apparently I know nothing

Bought the Boxster in the worst way possible. No PPI and spur of the moment.
The damn Aspen decided to throw an apoplectic hissy fit of failing fuel system and ignition, so a new car had to be acquired while it's contrary demeanor was ameliorated.

Lots of frustration over having to buy a car right then and there, a quick look on FB market place to prove you couldn't find a decent car nearby, and lo and behold, there it sat 3.1 miles away at about $2k under market.

Seems like the previous owner just kinda gave up on anything that wasn't crucial.
So been spending the last 2 months going over it and replacing things that are either broken or nearing the end of their life, as well as add a few quality of life items like bluetooth.
Probably dumped about $4k into it so far and still have a couple of big ticket items left to do.

In no particular order is what I've found is still missing:

1. New top. Old vinyl window is cracked and nobody around here will sow in a new one for less than simply replacing the whole top with the heated glass Gahh version.
2. New stereo. I don't think I've ever had a car before with a stereo that bad.
3. New tail lights and 3rd brake light. Housings and bulb carriers are cracked so planning on getting the Revi LED lights in smoked versions as it would nicely match the black car.
4. New CV boots. But since I don't know how long they've been cracked for my plan was to simply replace the drive axels.
5. Oil leak from plug tubes. Figured I would replace them all when I change the oil, plugs and filters.
6. Fix the blend doors where the foam deteriorated.

That seems to be the critical list.

The "would be nice" list is a
1. Upgrade to the 18" wheels to be able to fit the Michelin PS4S tires on it.
2. New exhaust. The current exhaust is very droney.
3. Add auto dimming mirrors. Driving a car this low in truck country without is a bit of a nightmare.
4. Add the OBC stalk (option already activated).
5. Fix cable for the ambient air temp. Something is making a bad connection between sensor and computer.

I think that's about it.

All in all it's been a journey but we're super happy we took the plunge.
Even if there's been plenty of drama so far. Including someone trying to steal it after only 6 days and a truck dropping a 10" tree trunk on I-10 in front of her.
It's her daily driving baby and I've always loved the first gen 986 ever since it came out.
And since I don't think it's very likely that someone will offer me a unicorn like a 959 or 70's RS 2.7 Turbo this will be it for me...... At least for now

Anyways.
Thought I would say hi and thank you guys for providing the information and community that you do.

Zordrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

Hello! and congrats. they're fun and rewarding cars, and you've done this the right way: Caution to the wind, knowing it's just a car and you can address whatever comes up. Good On ya! I bought mine the same way: '03 S, 145k miles, sight unseen, ZERO main history, $7000 plus freight across the country. Couldn't have been happier.

Pretty eclectic assortment of cars at your house. mine too. haha. they've each got their place and their use. :dance:

What part of the country are you in? I'm parting a car right now and might be able to help with some of the items on your MUST list, and for sure some items on your WISH list. (I'm in Utah)
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:32 AM   #3

Hey man,

Thank you. I'm right outside of New Orleans but have wheels and will travel

As for the eclectic smattering of cars I've always loved cars in general, as long as they were fun and interesting, and never been a brand specific fanboy.
And yes. They all have their place and use.
And somehow they all find a way to drain time and money
But as long as they'll put a smile on my face when I turn the key I'll keep submitting to this abusive relationship with them.

And yes. I would very much appreciate any parts that would be available.

Zordrack is offline   Reply With Quote