Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #1

New owner of a 2002 Boxster S

Hey everyone. My name is John and I am the proud owner of a 2002 Boxster S. Unfortunately I actually haven’t seen the car in person nor have I drove it yet! I’m living here in SoCal and have gone through some very extreme hardships so as a gift my father bought me one. I’m not going to go into details but please spare me the “daddy bought you it” comments. I am extremely thankful. I am out here in SoCal but I will be moving back to where I’m from (NJ) to restart my life. Here are some pictures of it. It looks like it’s in great shape!

Edit: for some reason it’s not allowing to upload pictures from my iPhone. I will upload pics when I get home.

Car is a dark blue (anyone know the official name?) boxster S with a blue convertible top on beige/saddle leather. Really a stunning color combo! It’s of course a 6 speed manual and has 80k miles. I have a few questions about the car though.

1. It has a red S logo on the back. Factory option or custom?
2. It read “PORSCHE” on the back glass piece in between the “roll bars” behind the seats. Same, factory option or custom?
3. There is the S logo on the headrest. Is this factory or custom?

Previous cars were a 2017 Focus ST, 06 BMW 330cic ZHP, 06 Mini Cooper S, and a 88 Porsche 944. All of them being manuals.

Anyway I’m sure I will have a lot more questions. I’ve been doing a lot of research on these cars and I’m looking forward to driving it!

Last edited by Ohtwo986S; 08-01-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Ohtwo986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #2

Welcome aboard! From a former Jersey boy myself.

I'm sure someone will answer your other questions, since I'm not sure on them. But I'm guessing your color is probably Lapis Blue. There's also a Midnight Blue that is a bit darker.

There's others, maybe, but when someone says 'dark blue' in a 986, those are the first ones I think of.

I hope it lives up to your expectations! These are cars that are truly fun to drive. And learn how to work on it—there's lots of $$ to be saved, not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Lots of good advice online, including right here at the forum.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
A Porsche Guy

Welcome to the forum. There are several blues available in your year but you most likely have the Lapis Blue. The midnight blue and the cobalt blue were $3,000 options at that time. There were other blues prior, depending on the year, such as Dark Blue, Ocean Blue, Irish Blue, Blue Torquoise, Violet Blue, and Zenith Blue. You can find out what your factory specs are using https://vinanalytics.com/. You'll need the last 5 digits of your VIN.
  • The red S emblem should be a custom job.
  • The Porsche is a decal on the windscreen deflector. It is a common decorative add-on piece.
  • The S on the headrest is definitely a custom. The seat must have been replaced, reupholster, or have a vinyl decal on it.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 08-01-2020 at 05:39 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Welcome aboard! From a former Jersey boy myself.

I'm sure someone will answer your other questions, since I'm not sure on them. But I'm guessing your color is probably Lapis Blue. There's also a Midnight Blue that is a bit darker.

There's others, maybe, but when someone says 'dark blue' in a 986, those are the first ones I think of.

I hope it lives up to your expectations! These are cars that are truly fun to drive. And learn how to work on it—there's lots of $$ to be saved, not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Lots of good advice online, including right here at the forum.
Thanks! I think it’s midnight blue then. It almost looks black in low light. Well according to the pictures I’m seeing of it.

Yes, I have friends that work on their cars. I’m the only one that doesn’t have that much experience but I will definitely be working on it with them instead of taking it to shops. That’s one reason I am moving back rather than LA where I was. I will not street park a Boxster where I would live and not have anywhere to work on it myself. The car would be beat up after a few years living there.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:58 PM   #5

Got some pics he sent me. I was having trouble uploading them here for some reason, I guess I am doing something wrong? I dont understand why the last picture is so large.
Anyway, I did a VIN search as someone else stated before. It is Lapis blue.

Attached Images

Last edited by Ohtwo986S; 08-02-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:48 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

That last picture... can we get it larger?
Old 08-02-2020, 04:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohtwo986S View Post
Got some pics he sent me. I was having trouble uploading them here for some reason, I guess I am doing something wrong? I dont understand why the last picture is so large.
Anyway, I did a VIN search as someone else stated before. It is Lapis blue.
Oh don't worry about it...Starter likes 'em large.

And yes, that's Lapis. It was the color I initially was looking for when I got mine, a Seal Grey (which I've decided I like better anyway, though I still like the blue).

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote