Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #1

New owner...New member

So...I bought a 2000 2.7 Boxster, about a week ago. I can admit that in terms of what everyone experienced with Boxsters knows...and I now know from spending a week reading forums...I did everything wrong. However, I may just have dumb luck. I'm not inexperienced with cars in general so based on my inspection of the vehicle it seemed sound without making my "spider senses tingle". I made a snap decision on my way to a weekend boating and put a deposit on the vehicle and pick it up 4 days later. I was the first to look at the vehicle. It had been listed less than 12 hours. While I was there the owners phone was blowing up with interested folks. Hence the snap decision.

Everything works! No lights! Interior and exterior in exceptional condition. Front nose had been painted and is a slightly different shade. It needs a refresh anyway and I can do it myself. My brother has a shop and we will colour gun it to match.

It's yellow (the only reason my wife played along). Originally a US car, now in Canada. Obviously never winter driven and properly winter stored. 81,000 miles.

The great news! I have the service records... and they show the biggies...IMS, clutch and flywheel replace @ 75,000 miles. Other records show various other maintenance and repairs of the common requirements...plug tubes, serpentine belt...etc. Low mile rubber.

All in all in great shape, plus it has 18" wheels and sport seats!

The only apparent immediate work it may need is suspension bushings. I haven't had it in my brothers garage on the hoist yet. That happens next week!

My 17 YO daughter begs to go for drives and said "I now understand sports cars" as we leaned into a corner. Smiles all around!

1yellowbrickroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1yellowbrickroad View Post
I can admit that in terms of what everyone experienced with Boxsters knows...and I now know from spending a week reading forums...I did everything wrong. However, I may just have dumb luck. I'm not inexperienced with cars in general so based on my inspection of the vehicle it seemed sound without making my "spider senses tingle".

WELCOME!
Don't let anyone else fool you; this is the "RIGHT" way to buy a <$10k used car. PPI's are for sissy's..... (Those who will argue will hear me man-s'plain that if you don't know about cars and can't look it over yourself with some modicum of knowledge regarding what you are looking for, then you really haven't any business buying a 20-yr-old non-collectible Porsche. jus' sayin', hehe)

It sounds like you did well.

So the only other thing I really have to say is: "Pics or it never happened". :dance:
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

Excellent choice of color! Welcome.
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

"Everything works. No lights". That doesn't reconcile.

Maytag is right. Real men face up to their mistake$. Tho$e PPI$ are for wuSSieS.

I found my car on CL 3 hours after it was listed and was driving it home 3 hours later.

Sometimes you just gotta jump on these things (That's what she said).

See ya around. Maybe in a week or two after you've read through the first 3 pages of every topics forums where you'll find the answers to 90% of your prospective and pending inquiries. In other words: Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #5

Garage
Great color... Bought mine almost the same way and have never been happier with an old "creampuff" as my Dad used to say.

Welcome to this forum. Best of luck with your car.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1yellowbrickroad View Post
So...I bought a 2000 2.7 Boxster, about a week ago. I can admit that in terms of what everyone experienced with Boxsters knows...and I now know from spending a week reading forums...I did everything wrong. However, I may just have dumb luck. I'm not inexperienced with cars in general so based on my inspection of the vehicle it seemed sound without making my "spider senses tingle". I made a snap decision on my way to a weekend boating and put a deposit on the vehicle and pick it up 4 days later. I was the first to look at the vehicle. It had been listed less than 12 hours. While I was there the owners phone was blowing up with interested folks. Hence the snap decision.

Everything works! No lights! Interior and exterior in exceptional condition. Front nose had been painted and is a slightly different shade. It needs a refresh anyway and I can do it myself. My brother has a shop and we will colour gun it to match.

It's yellow (the only reason my wife played along). Originally a US car, now in Canada. Obviously never winter driven and properly winter stored. 81,000 miles.

The great news! I have the service records... and they show the biggies...IMS, clutch and flywheel replace @ 75,000 miles. Other records show various other maintenance and repairs of the common requirements...plug tubes, serpentine belt...etc. Low mile rubber.

All in all in great shape, plus it has 18" wheels and sport seats!

The only apparent immediate work it may need is suspension bushings. I haven't had it in my brothers garage on the hoist yet. That happens next week!

My 17 YO daughter begs to go for drives and said "I now understand sports cars" as we leaned into a corner. Smiles all around!
Welcome to the forum, I would rather buy a car that needs nothing cosmeticly, because I am going to upgrade the mechanicals anyway.
Attached Images

Last edited by BYprodriver; 07-26-2020 at 07:56 AM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #7

I have been driving my Boxster a lot! 2000 miles in just under three weeks. Most everything works as it should with one glaring exception. The struts are shot! It would appear they are original to the car. And with what I paid for it It's not surprising or something I wasn't considering updating. Had it on the hoist this weekend and we could literally lift and move three of the wheels. I have ordered new Bilsteins B6 sport replacements and will use the original springs. I also have to replace the brake pads all the way around. Any recommendations on replacement pads.

I've taken a bunch of pics but have to figure out how to resize them!
1yellowbrickroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
NewUserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
"Everything works. No lights". That doesn't reconcile.
I read it that he meant no error codes/warning lights.

DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote