Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #1

First time owner, longtime Top Gear fan!

Just bought an 02’ Boxster in Guards Red on Monday. Never in my life did I think I would be a Porsche owner!

I convinced the wife a few weeks back to start looking for a cheap convertible for around $5k just for something fun to drive. We initially looked at a BMW Z4 and it was in terrible condition but still asking $6k. I widened my search and ran across a slew of cheap Boxster’s in the midwest for under $12k. I had no idea you could own such a great car for such a small initial investment. Once I showed her a few red ones she said that is the car.

I test drove an 05’ S and liked it but something in the linkage/shifter broke during the test drive and we walked away. Found and drive this 02’ Monday morning and was hooked!

For an 18 year old car it is in near perfect condition. No scratches and only a few minor knicks, regular upholstery wear, minor top wear at hinge points, famous yellow headlights, and new Michelin’s. Other than cleaning the lights up there is nothing that needs done.

After driving a few hundred miles in it this week the only thing I don’t care for is the shifter. The boot and knob are worn and need replaced, but the mechanical feel is not great. It feels sluggish and like it might be binding up in the pivot joints and ball. I took a quick look and it is dirty all around the bushings. I really expected the shifter to move more freely and not have the resistance it has going side to side. The 05’ I test drive was like butter but it’s was broken.

I’ve read about the 997 drop in and others but not sure which way to go. I don’t want a SSK but do want a smoother shift and shorter travel. I also want to get a black boot with red stitching and a similar styled knob.

Any suggestions?

Rodnacious is offline   Reply With Quote