Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Public Figure

Thumbs up New guy here! (Porsche virgin)

Hi everybody, I'm a really shy guy who just bought his first Porsche and this is only my second car ever, I used to have a Camry that I drove for ages since new back in 2003. I don't know much about cars in general and struggle to check oil and tire pressure(I know I suck!!) I am braving the storm and going way out of my comfort zone by saying hi to you all so please please please be NICEEE TO MEEE!!

HA! Wouldn't that be a first post!

Truth is I'm just another addict like everyone here, and my vice is and has always been tire smoke and gasoline fumes. Name is Rafael, I've been a BMW guy for most of my life and finally made a jump to the humble yet capable 986. I've owned the car for 6 months and have yet to fully embrace it, I'm not sure if it's to do with the fact that it doens't have that BMW "feel" that I am so comfortable with or maybe my particular Porsche needs more TLC than I originally planned for. Regardless I am having a blast learning the car and lifting up her skirt to see what makes her tick. I'm a very hands-on owner and will only send my car off to the mechanic if it's something I legitimately feel ill-equipped to tackle.

Quick blurb about me, I live in SoCal, southbay to be more precise. I regularly go to car shows/meets/drives and love to meet and help other like minded enthusiasts. My other passion is motorcycles so when I'm not cruising PCH with the top down I'll be hitting PV on 2 wheels. I run a Youtube channel (AR PEREZ) where I go on adventures in my Porsche and my GSXR and also do DIY's when possible. I also work at a brewery and have craft beer hookups for days, so get at me!

Now on to the pictures:

My E30 that I owned for 10 years and built from the ground up doing 95% of the work, including paint, myself----------------------

One of the best full size vehicles I've ever had the pleasure of driving, my 2001 740i M-Sport-------------------------------

And my current steed, my new to me 2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7 with a 5 speed and 996 wheels--------------------------------

Hope to learn, contribute and use the SEARCH button before asking a dumb question.

See you around!!

AR Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #2

Welcome, Rafael! Your post threw me for a loop until I realized that the first paragraph was in jest.

I have the slightly younger sister of your car, a 2002 2.7 Tiptronic, same color! I actually bought it for my wife, thus the Tip, but I tend to drive it more. There are a lot of good people on here and lots of good information to be found. I suspect that after a while you'll forget the Bimmers!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Racer Boy

Welcome! I too was wondering what the hell a Camry guy was doing buying a Boxster...

Nice looking rides! My Boxster is also a 2002 2.7, but without the custom front bumper cover that you have. Otherwise, it's silver and black like yours.

Last edited by Racer Boy; 03-17-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Who's askin'?

Welcome! Fun introduction. It'll be fun to see where ya fit in around here, hehe!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Public Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Welcome! Fun introduction. It'll be fun to see where ya fit in around here, hehe!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Where in Utah are you located? I grew up in Utah and built my e30 there. I still visit frequently since my parents still live there.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Perez View Post
Where in Utah are you located? I grew up in Utah and built my e30 there. I still visit frequently since my parents still live there.
I'm up in the Salt Lake Area. West Side! ::gang-signs::
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #7

Welcome! Nice looking car. You'll find this a great place to get ideas, share successes/failures or simply just chew the fat. Make use of the vast knowledge here and by all means share your experiences as well.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

Welcome, I was a Porsche virgin until a couple of months ago haha. I also live in LA, and can say that there's no better feeling than driving PCH with the top down!
Black_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #9

Love these shots, when will people realize how great boxsters can look.

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote