Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #1

Question Flooded control unit under passenger seat 2002 Boxster

Hi is everyone well?

I am very glad I found this community of us!

I am from Sydney and have just bought a 2002 Boxster (FYI dark blue with cream leather <3 - as I failed to attach a photo to this post using my iPhone as it gave a JPEG thingy error message - please help?) - why I didn't acquire this wonderful thing before and wasted my time with other cars I don't know!

Eventual I started driving everywhere with the roof down - even in winter �� And eventually got caught in one of the heavy rains here.

I didn't suspect anything after that rain but when I got the car in to a Porsche dealer for diagnose with a knocking noise, the technician told me the control box under the passenger seat is full of water and it made the remote locking unstabe.

I didn't want to spend money yet before a research so brought the car back home.

After that I notice the headlights are not working neither hinh nor low beam. But, if I hold the stoke in then the high beam works.

I am not sure if it is like this before the rain or not. But think it could be the 'control box'.

As I would like to save if I could fix it myself, and before I have to Google a lot (very new just 4 weeks with Porsche and no knowledge at all), could you please help me:

1. Is it easy for me to replace the control box myself? If yes:

2. Which second hand (good idea or should be brand new?) Control Box [part number] I should find please?

3. Which drain(s) that was blocked and caused this? How to check ALL other drains please?

4. Any other regular check I should perform on the car after purchasing and how often I should do them please?

5. Please also help with my knocking engine noise on a separated post after this.

Thank you very much guys!!!

Kind Regards,

TIM QUACH
Architecta.com.au | Director
M. 0420946997
Bachelor of Architecture, Master of Architecture Design, Master of Architecture Computing - University of New South Wales 2005
Certified Autodesk Revit Professional 2011

Last edited by AkiRofe; 08-15-2019 at 04:56 PM.
AkiRofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #2

The Immobilizer (what you called the Control Unit) is not swappable without programming. But since it still works, you can take it out, open the box and douse it with rubbing alcohol to displace the water, then allow the alcohol to dry completely. You can even use a toothbrush gently to remove any corrosion you see. If you plan on doing that, do is ASAP before more damage occurs.

The headlight problem you are having is not related to the Immobilizer. looks like the headlight switch is your problem, but you'll have to do a little research to be sure.
Search keywords like "drain tubes" "immobilizer" in General Discussions and most likely you'll find answers to all your questions.

If you can't find what you need, post your questions here so you'll have better luck with a reply:
Boxster General Discussions - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited by piper6909; 08-18-2019 at 10:44 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #3

Thank you very much piper6909 !!!
Old 08-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #4

Forgot to mention: Do not turn the ignition on with the plug under the seat disconnected! It will cause the airbag light to come on and you'll need a specialized scan tool (such as a Durametric), or an indy shop or the dealer to turn it off.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #5

Wow that's valuable information Piper and how the heck you know things like that 👍👏🙏🙏🙏

Kind Regards,

TIM QUACH
Director | Architecta Pty Ltd
Bachelor of Architecture, Master of Architecture Design, Master of Architecture Computing - University of New South Wales 2005Certified Autodesk Revit Professional 2011

A Level 10, 6 Mount Olympus Boulevard, Wolli Creek, NSW 2205
T 0420946997
W www.architecta.com.au
Old 08-30-2019, 03:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiRofe View Post
Wow that's valuable information Piper and how the heck you know things like that 👍👏🙏🙏🙏

Kind Regards,

TIM QUACH
Director | Architecta Pty Ltd
Bachelor of Architecture, Master of Architecture Design, Master of Architecture Computing - University of New South Wales 2005Certified Autodesk Revit Professional 2011

A Level 10, 6 Mount Olympus Boulevard, Wolli Creek, NSW 2205
T 0420946997
W www.architecta.com.au
In this case, I know from experience, unfortunately. But I'm more than happy to share so others can learn from my mistakes.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
damaged immobilizer circuit board

Welcome to the forum!
See my post of April 7 2018.
The immobilizer box is located at the lowest point in the interior of the car -brilliant engineering decision- so water entry frequently ruins the circuit board inside and thus immobilizes the car. This problem is so common that an auto electronics repair shop in south Florida, USA, has a waterproof replacement plastic box for sale.
To access the immobilizer box, the seat above it must be removed from the car, not a difficult task.The seats are retained by bolts with E40 Torx heads, as I recall. Before you disconnect the battery negative lead to 'kill' the electrics, use the seat's electric motor to move the seat fore and aft to reveal the retaining bolt heads. Then, disconnect the battery, tilt the seat backwards to gain access to the electrics of the seat and disconnect the several multipin connectors so the seat can be lifted out. There is a plastic fastener with a #3 Phillips head that is rotated 90* to free the circuit box from the floor of the car. Disconnect the multipin connector from the box, and your box is out of your Boxster.
The immobilizer is coded to the car's engine control module and the keys, so the repair shop needs those items as well as your damaged immobilizer.
I suggest drilling a few 10mm holes in the floor at several strategic locations to allow any water that gets in to get right back out. Heresy! Drilling holes in a Porsche!
I don't know about any repair service Down Under, but ECUdoctors in the Miami area of Florida, USA provided excellent service when I had this issue. I would suggest that any newly-acquired Boxster should be fitted with their waterproof case ASAP.
Now, about drying the carpet...

old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote