Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 03:22 AM   #1

Garage
Very tall man wants 986 Boxster

Hi guys,

I'm Darjan from Zagreb (Croatia) and I want to buy a mid-engined car for the price up to 10k euros and two obvious choices were Toyota MR2 and Porsche Boxster. As I struggled to find a Boxster which is in that price category, I thought I will have to buy MR2, but then a 10k Boxster from 1999 with 67k miles appeared and I went to see it.

Unfortunately, I found out that cockpit is too small for me (Height - 203 cm or 6'8 and 87 kg) despite being able to fit in thanks to my flexibility, but the steering wheel sits between my legs and prevents me from driving normaly.

I'm not wiling to give up so I explored the possiblities - it seems that I can do two things:

1) Buy a more thin racing seat to position myself a little bit more backwards (in that case I don't need seat rails because I will always be as far back as possible). That will also lower me a little bit which is useful for headroom and center of gravity.

I planned to buy Recaro Furious 7.0 (around 600 euros) - Do you think I will gain some space with it or do you suggest some other seat?

2) Buy a smaller diameter steering wheel like Sparco F-10A (270mm diameter) or Sparco F310 (310 mm diameter).

I'm not sure whill these steering wheels fit when I remove factory steering wheel. If not, what can be done or which steering wheel could I use instead? I accept that I will lose airbags.

I'm looking for your advices and feedback because I would really like to buy a Boxster as it is a perfect car for my project. I'm very enthusiastic about it and I would like to share it with you, but it makes no sense before I can ensure that I can fit into the car. But I'm an optimistic person so I already ordered the book '101 Projects For Your Porsche Boxster'

Best regards,

Darjan Petric

MAXF1net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Disregard...

Last edited by particlewave; 04-01-2019 at 02:36 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
In addition to thinner racing seats that sit lower in the car many people have also said the GT3 lower console delete helped a lot with leg room, especially for their knees. Keep in mind that the 986 steering wheel only tilts, it does not telescope in and out.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #4

You might want to look at a 996 instead. It has more seat travel.

If you were thinking of an MR2 Spyder, no way you'll fit at 6'8". Before I started my Porsche addiction, I owned an 01. Very cramped and I'm 5'10".
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

gt3 console delete:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/75-BODY-GT3_Center_Console_Delete/75-BODY-GT3_Center_Console_Delete.htm

steering wheel extension:

Steering wheel spacer for OEM steering wheel with airbag

cheaper seats closer to you (perhaps they can make custom thinner cushions):

https://bimarco.eu/en/

aftermarket steering wheels need specific hubs to work, and sometimes horn and turn signal operation becomes an issue. will also trigger airbag light. momo has history of working with porsche and make hubs for our cars (and steering wheels, or look for an aftermarket wheel with a momo bolt pattern).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #6

Garage
Thank you all for your answers, I will now have to decide should I buy it or maybe some other car.

@husker boxster - I did (somehow) fit in MR2, I could turn the steering wheel easier than in Boxster

Old 04-24-2019, 01:20 AM   #7

Garage
Hi guys, I have bought a black 2000 Boxter with hardtop.

I have ordered:

-101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster (I have received it and it is really good)

-Momo Mod 30 steering wheel

-Bimarco Hummer seat with side mountings

-GT3 Centre console delete kit

Last edited by MAXF1net; 05-12-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Information update