Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #1

Newbie 2003 S

Greetings to the forum. I am a new owner of an 03 S with tiptronic transmission. Meridian Metallic Silver with Metropol Blue top and interior appear to be a fairly uncommon combination. The car is nicely optioned and in excellent condition.....with the exception of the motor.
At just over 102K, the previous owner heard a strange noise as he pulled off the freeway so he immediately shut it down. Diagnostics reveald no metal in the oil filter and no coolant/oil mix. However, cylinder #5 has low to no compression. The IMS had been done with an LN update along with the RMS within 5k of the incident. I will be opening up the cam cover shortly to search for what may be causing the issue.
I come from 914's and was considering getting another, but the cost of them has gotten silly for what you get.
I have always like the 986's and know my way around a tool box pretty well so I am looking forward to the challenge.
I also have a Vanagon w Subaru power plant that I did myself along with a '39 ford w a 392 elephant motor.
Looking forward to learning from you all and sharing the project progress along the way.
Mike
[IMG][/IMG]

Ottomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #2

Best wishes for a fast, easy, satisfying, and inexpensive project. Let us know how it turns out.
Larry (the bald eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Congrats on the car. I'm interested in the diagnosis of the engine since I too have a 2003 S, although a 6 speed.

Keep us posted and good luck!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #4

Thanks, Larry...hoping the same...especially the inexpensive part ;-)
FYI...my wife is a Valpo alum.

Paul, I will try and post updates. Sure has me thinking it is a busted valve spring. Odd that it is only one cylinder and its the middle cylinder on drivers side bank....

Ottomotion is offline   Reply With Quote