Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

buying and importing Boxster from Canada???

After a lot of research I've decided to purchase a used Boxster primarily for weekend driving in the beautiful hills of southeast Ohio. I'm leaning toward a 1997 to 1999 model. This will be the first Porsche I've ever owned.

I found a 1997 for sale in Canada (I'm in Ohio). This Boxster is two owner with 25,000 miles and was originally purchased by owner number one in Texas. The second owner has had the car for 6 years and it is now located in Canada.

We've come to an agreement on price: $12,000. The car has the original engine and zero rust and has been stored in a heated garage during its time in Canada. The seller is willing to meet me in Buffalo so I can look the car over in person before coming to a final agreement.

The logistics of importing the car back to the U.S. concerns me. I've not bought or sold many cars and never purchased a car even out of state. All my previous car purchases have been from dealerships. Step one, I plan to call my local bureau of motor vehicles tomorrow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially related to importing a car from Canada.
Thank you in advance!

combray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:23 AM   #2

Link

Here's a link for you to start with. WHen I imported my car from the US to Canada, I just followed the rules and requirements as outlined in Canada's similar documents and it went great. Tons of forms and requirements to follow but if you do it all as they say, you should be OK. They even waive duty in your case if the veicle was previosuly registered in the US and you have proof of it.
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car
Old 05-11-2018, 03:52 AM   #3

Find your personal comfort zone

Do as you will, but for me, the drama:fun ratio on this one is already too far skewed against you.

That price seems (again, to me) to be high for a 2.5 first-years, low miles noted (rust is a non-issue), and it certainly is not like these cars are so rare that you would need to travel as far as that to find one (I saw a pair of 986's commuting on my drive in to work this a.m.!). Buying more local means no worries whatsoever with Ohio BMV.

You don't say in what Buckeye city you are located, but a casual look at Craigslist here in C-Bus this morning shows 6 of them available, with varying years, miles and costs. Cincy / Pittsburgh should have some others, as well.

My $0.02: Keep shopping for something that is closer, one that you can inspect and test drive easily before you get your hopes all built up, as they obviously already are for this one that you've noted.

For just one example local to me, these folks get interesting cars like these regularly: http://www.autoassets.com and they are as trustworthy as the day is long.

Good luck, whatever you decide - DM

Last edited by Dave80GTSi; 05-11-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:30 AM   #4

Thanks for both of the helpful responses. I may bail on the deal if it gets too complicated, although it really is the year and milage I’ve been looking for. Originally, I was under the impression the car was located in the US.

The seller is willing to meet in the Cleveland area to finalize the transaction. I'm south of Columbus, so that's not too far out of my way.

Concerning the title this was his response: “the Boxster has both Texas and Ontario registrations both are valid a little like dual citizenship ... currently, it has an Ontario plate on it.”

Again, I know very little about car title transfers etc. Does a vehicle having dual registration make sense?

Again I greatly appreciate people here taking time out their days to offer assistance!
Old 05-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #5

I let the seller know I decided to look for a Boxster a little closer to home. Buying outside of the US is just out of my comfort zone.

So if anyone knows of a 986 in the Ohio area for around $10,000 to $12,000, let me know! I might even go a bit higher for the right car. I'm ready buy!

Thanks again for the help. This site is an indispensable resource.