Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #1

Garage
Orlando - 2002 Boxster base

Excited to get this car, minus the issue with the immobilizer I'm having (posted a separate thread).

This only hass 44K miles on it, but some wear and tear on it. I can't wait to get this back on the road and enjoy it. I am a long-term Porsche fan, but this is my first attempt at owning one. Love to work on my cars, so I plan on slowly restoring worn out parts and bring it back to life.

harrg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #2

Congrats!
I am a new 2002 base owner myself (about 1 month), and I'm in Winter Park. Looks nice! I have been fiddling around almost every day, mostly getting familiar with how things work, where they are, etc..
Overall, I have found it to be super simple.

Once you get familiar with it, things are really easy. Get familiar with service mode, removing both the top and front engine covers!!

The "fun" stuff is always fun, but the essentials are even more important. I have already:
  • Replaced cabin air filter (it was DISGUSTING)
  • Replaced Air Filter (it was HORRIBLE)
  • Changed oil/filter, added Magnetic Drain plug (amazon, 6qt cases of Mobil1 for about $27.00) Oil was dark, but clean and still somewhat translucent, filter was completely clean
  • Changed Serpentine belt (it was cracked all over the place, probably never been changed. Some DIY's state using a socket to do it. Do yourself a favor, have a WRENCH to do it (24mm), there's barely any clearance, wrench is perfect. Once I had the wrench, it took me less than 5 minutes to swap it out (and that is taking pics, making diagram of how belt goes, etc.)
  • Added rear speakers
  • Swapped out front dash speakers
  • Put in all new H7 bulbs in front (High/Low and Fog), as they were yellowy and one was out.
  • Clear side markers with LED amber bulb
  • 3rd brake light red led's
  • Interior white led's (courtesy lamp and door lamps)
  • Replaced power window switch
  • Replaced turn signal switch

I've been pretty busy!!

Love how it drives!!
Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

Congrates nice looking car!
Old 04-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglitz View Post
Congrats!
I am a new 2002 base owner myself (about 1 month), and I'm in Winter Park. Looks nice! I have been fiddling around almost every day, mostly getting familiar with how things work, where they are, etc..
Overall, I have found it to be super simple.

Once you get familiar with it, things are really easy. Get familiar with service mode, removing both the top and front engine covers!!

The "fun" stuff is always fun, but the essentials are even more important. I have already:
  • Replaced cabin air filter (it was DISGUSTING)
  • Replaced Air Filter (it was HORRIBLE)
  • Changed oil/filter, added Magnetic Drain plug (amazon, 6qt cases of Mobil1 for about $27.00) Oil was dark, but clean and still somewhat translucent, filter was completely clean
  • Changed Serpentine belt (it was cracked all over the place, probably never been changed. Some DIY's state using a socket to do it. Do yourself a favor, have a WRENCH to do it (24mm), there's barely any clearance, wrench is perfect. Once I had the wrench, it took me less than 5 minutes to swap it out (and that is taking pics, making diagram of how belt goes, etc.)
  • Added rear speakers
  • Swapped out front dash speakers
  • Put in all new H7 bulbs in front (High/Low and Fog), as they were yellowy and one was out.
  • Clear side markers with LED amber bulb
  • 3rd brake light red led's
  • Interior white led's (courtesy lamp and door lamps)
  • Replaced power window switch
  • Replaced turn signal switch

I've been pretty busy!!

Love how it drives!!
Wow, you've been really busy! I'm doing much of the same and sounds like it cars are in similar situations conditions. Awesome tip on the wrench. I'm sure my serpentine belt Ness changing, too. I'm planning on putting in a double din Android head unit soon but first all the mechanicals need tending to. Congrats to both of us. 👍🏼
Old 04-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Congrates nice looking car!
Thank you! Your blue Boxster - definitely one of the best colors.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #6

2002 base owner here as well - and not too far away from you. I'm in Valrico (on the east side of Tampa). Picked mine up a few weeks ago with 41k miles on it.

On my "done" list:
replaced serpentine belt
replaced water pump

On my "to do" list:
replace Boxster emblem (it's missing a part of the B... I guess I need to find a new one first )
replace the tires (they have decent tread, but are double digit years old and I suspicious of rot)
replace amber lights on front and sides (hadn't considered this before, but think it looks sharp when done)
consider the IMS bearing replacement (not myself, but hire it out)
consider replacing the plastic window with glass (is this possible in a 2002?)

Brian

terj is offline   Reply With Quote