Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #1

After 1 year of owning my first Porsche.

Hey guys.

I have been lurking around for the past year and decided to post because of my situation.

At the start of last year, I had the urge to purchase my first Porsche. The yellow bird has always captivated me, but I knew I could not afford it. After researching, I decided to purchase a boxster(price, convertible, racing class) and after visiting a couple of cars I purchased a 2001 boxster S that had the IMSB and transmission recently replaced. There was some defects but not red flags. Nothing I could not do.

After getting it. I took 2 months to go trough the basic stuff that I was scared about: inspected the bills, bought new tires, brakes, discs, dropped the pan(clean), replaced the oil and baffles(since I planned to track my car). Now I am at my second oil change and I found metal in the oil drain pan. I have the usual "The engine ran great before parking it". What I know is that the cam deviation is in the critical range. I was keeping an eye on it to catch if it got worst. Every 2 gaz tanks I would check if it changed. The screenshots are at home, but they were on the edge. 5deg and 6deg.

What is curious is that my filter is clean. I cut it open (LN filter adapter filter) and saved it for later.

Working on cars has never been a problem for me. I own two Nissan S13s with the turbocharged SR20det (back in Canada and here). Replaced the motor, transmission, turbocharger etc. But the Boxster scares the hell out of me. All this information online on the engine and transmission failures and how expensive the spare parts are makes me worried.

Now I don't know what to do. I already put new oil in, but I haven't started. Thinking of dropping it and running it through a coffee filter or filters while making sure there isn't any particulates in the oil drain pan.

On another note. I just don't know how I can deal with having anxiety with this car. It's more a monetary then time. I do enjoy the work, but my goal is to eventually race and I might consider parting with this car and buying a truck to tow my other car rather then parting with my other car.

Finally, I am torn. Once the car is warmed up it is a blast to drive. I like how the car pivots when trail braking, the ability to corner with throttle inputs, the crazy amount of braking power finally the ride is very comfortable. Only negative is the cable shifting mechanism and the brakes squeal when cold(Hawk hp+ fault).

I am sorry if this is my first post, but I wanted to share where I am at with my boxster. If anyone has any tips or contacts I am keeping my options open. I am located in Orange County.

Thanks,

P.S. I will upload pictures when I get home.

TLDR; Owned a boxster for 1 year, want to race the car, found metal in oil, thinking of getting rid of it.

Pics:

Attached Images

Last edited by WorkInProgressK; 01-09-2017 at 06:27 PM.
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
I am No. 1348

Garage
How sure are you the IMS was replaced? What is the mileage on the vehicle? On the new IMS?

Did you have a PPI done?

I personally would have a Tech look at it and check to see if he can tell if the IMS was replaced somehow. I would then keep the car and replace the IMS again just for safety and drive the hell out of it.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #3

Algiorda, the previous IMS was installed at 91000 and I am at around 109000. It has only been 18000miles done in around 3 years. I have the bills as proof.

No I haven't had a PPI done. I have driven it more then enough to be the one causing some trouble. 1 track day, 1 auto x and my daily commute is 15 miles on the freeway each direction and I always let it warm up to at least 100degF before leaving the parking lot.

Found an article on replacing the IMS without breaking the bank. I still need to open up the valve covers and inspect the amount of metal found, which looking for the cam locking tool imperative.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Welcome to the forum, and that is great looking 986!
It looks like it may be my favorite color, Ocean Blue?

From reading your post it seems you may be a bit wrapped up in all the negatives of owning a 986. The IMS issue is serious, and it is clear you have done your research and know what you are doing, but just because you are having some mechanical issues does not mean all roads lead to IMS failure, especially if the IMS has already been replaced. I would suggest getting an oil analysis done to figure out where the metal is actually coming from.

To clarify, the first time you changed the oil the pan and filter where clean, but the second time the pan had metal, and the filter was clean?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #5

Thanks!

I haven't pulled the engine pan yet. I have fresh oil in there. I only spotted the metal when emptying my pan.

I feel that I caught this failure really early. I was waiting on transmission fluid(redline 75w90NS) and decided to empty the drain pan. That is when I found this precipice.

About the oil analysis. Where should I get it from? I heard from WIX, Blackstone, LN. I actually inquired by email to LNE if I could send in the fragments and haven't received a reply.
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
Old 01-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would post in the Performance & Tech part of the forum. Lots of super knowledgable members that can provide much more insight than I can about those bits of metal. I have used Blackstone for oil analysis, and I know a few people use LN, not sure about WIX.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I would post in the Performance & Tech part of the forum. Lots of super knowledgable members that can provide much more insight than I can about those bits of metal. I have used Blackstone for oil analysis, and I know a few people use LN, not sure about WIX.
Thanks. I do so. I will be opening the engine this week-end. Looking into making my own cam holders.

1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)