Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #1

New 986 owner from Ontario

Hi everyone,

I just completed a 7000km road trip with my recently purchased 98 boxster. (BC to Ontario via the southern U.S.)

The car performed extremely well the entire trip. I achieved 25.5-31.8mpg and burned less than 1/2 litre of oil.

The only thing I noticed that seemed out of the norm was that the last few days of the trip I started to notice what sounds to be a chain rattle sound. Only at the first cold start of the day. Anyway, I'll continue reading up on the timing chain tensioners and evaluate going forward.

In the meantime this is one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever owned.

formulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #2

formulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #3

Looks gorgeous! Where are you from in ontario?
ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #4

Garage
Yes nice color Good choice... the 986 is certainly not the cheapest raggtop to maintain but $$$ for fun it cant be beat! Keep up the maintenance and routine services and it will treat you well.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:44 AM   #5

wow nice car man..by the way welcome to the forum
rupenzelleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #6

Greetings and welcome....originally from Big Smoke, now in NS. From your fleet, I'll guess you're a car guy . Sounds like a great first trip.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Welcome to the 986forum. You will find a wealth of info here. I lived in the Toronto area from 1985 to 2013 and returned to Winnipeg. I miss the Southern Ontario roads!

Have fun driving that Boxster but keep an eye (ear) on that rattle. Get someone to check cam timing deviation if you can and be religious with oil and filter changes inspecting the filter for foreign matter
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
Brighton Boxster

Garage
coincidence

April 13, same day as your post, was when I picked up my 2003 Boxster S, but my shakedown cruise was a lot shorter - only from Hamilton to Brighton, Ontario. I have since had all the dents removed by a paintless repair magician, and added a Colgan two piece bra, and the car is looking very nice indeed. If I could replace the windshield (sand-blasted during its first eight years in Texas) it would be near perfect.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Car looks great with what I believe is Lake Ontario in the background being that you are from Brighton?
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
Brighton Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Car looks great with what I believe is Lake Ontario in the background being that you are from Brighton?
Presqu'ile Bay, which is indeed part of Lake Ontario.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #11

Grats on the car looking good...Apart from the bra IMO your not doing the paint work any favours It will rub through the paint work . spend the extra $$$ and get a clear bra installed , and It will look a hell of a lot better.........Just sayin.

Happy motoring ..
Privateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
Brighton Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
Grats on the car looking good...Apart from the bra IMO your not doing the paint work any favours It will rub through the paint work . spend the extra $$$ and get a clear bra installed , and It will look a hell of a lot better.........Just sayin.

Happy motoring ..
I have only had the bra for a short time, and it fits perfectly and was easy to remove and replace when I had the car washed and detailed. It only goes back on when both the bra and the car are completely dry, and the car is garaged when not in use.
I had bra for two years on my 93 Miata with single stage red paint finish, with no ill effects. The Porsche is 12 years old and has a few stone chips on the nose, so a 3M clear bra would only make sense if I first repainted the front end, which I will only do when it is really bad = far in the future, I hope.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #13

Garage
Hi and welcome from Fort Worth Texas USA!

2002 Boxster Seal Gray Metallic: Desnorkled, Changed ashtray to non-smoker's bin, Removed stickers from sunvisors, Added rear speakers, LED Shifter, Porsche logo on trunk lid, New top with heated glass window, Aspheric Driver's Side Mirror Upgrade, More to come...
randy7601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #14
Brighton Boxster

Garage
Texas origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
Hi and welcome from Fort Worth Texas USA!
Thanks. My car spent its first eight years in Houston, Texas before moving to NC for two years. It then spent two summers in Canada before I got it. I think this explains the sandblasted windshield which is in need of replacement.