Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #1

Greeting from Alabama

After searching the usual 'for sale' sites for a month, I found and purchased a 99 Boxster with 41K at a new car dealership about 30 miles from home. It runs and drives well but came with no service history. The previous owner did his own service work. He passed away a few years ago and his wife held the car a few years before trading it in. Wish me luck.

otmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #2

Garage
Welcome! Great looking car! Maybe some more pics ! I'd suggest a PPI, even just to see if there are any major issues. Is it your first Porsche?
Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

Garage
1st thing you want to do is remove the oil filter housing with a 74mm 14sided tool to inspect the filter & housing for anything other than oil in there. Good idea to buy a new filter 1st in case it needs replacing. If the oil is dirty you should drain & refill the engine oil also. you need a GOOD quality 8mm allen socket to remove the soft aluminum drain plug, & something to catch the 9.25 qts of old oil. Besides the 9qt. of new full synthetic oil you also need a new alum. crush washer for the drain plug.

If you would rather a good Porsche BOXSTER shop do this operation they will undoubtedly tell you about other servicing needs without charging you.
With only 41,K miles it's a good chance the water-pump has never been replaced. You should replace it a.s.a.p. along with new Porsche coolant & hoses if they are not in perfect shape.

Roll Tide!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #4

This is my first Porsche. The dealer just changed the oil. I plan to wait until the next oil change to look for metal.
Thanks for the heads up on the tools , washer and o-ring for the oil change.
I plan to flush the coolant this spring. I will replace the water pump at that time. I expect that there will be several things that need attention on a 16 year old sports car. The good news is the Boxster will be our 3rd car. If it needs to set awhile waiting on a part or waiting on me to finish some work on it, it will be okay.
Roll Tide !

otmike is offline   Reply With Quote