Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Total Amateur

Hello

Hi everyone,

My name is Nat, I am based in the UK. I have a 2001 Boxster 986 that I'm trying to look after. I bought it in Jan 2013, before that I had a 1998 986 which I wrote off on black ice - ooops. My signature says it all, I have no idea about cars and am completely at the mercy of the garage. I joined the forum in the hope to learn more about my car, any help will be gratefully received.

I've just had my car fully serviced at 63k including new spark plugs and ignition coils, break fluid change and vents cleaned. However there are still a few issues to sort out. The carpet is drenched inside, apparently due to the door membranes leaking, the carpet below the speakers is soaked and so is the foam under the seats (I am aware of the danger of the alarm box getting wet). The Porsche garage I am using suggested new membranes at £300, however I was wondering if they just need re-sealing as opposed to replacing. To dry the interior, they quoted £500, I am going to explore my options with that one. Sadly I don't have a garage to dry my car in, and it is cold and wet outside. The aircon needs re-doing, it stinks and the condensors appear to be leaking. The cheapest quote I got is £600+ and the Porsche quoted £950. I very rarely use the aircon so if I could get rid of the stink I'd be quite happy with it not working properly due to the leaking condensors, at least till June. Furthermore, the spark plug tube seals are leaking and need replacing, The Porsche Garage quote was for £400 and another garage quoted £100 including labour. I am not sure why such a difference. The exhaust fixtures need replacing as they are so corroded they break away. Other bits that are not as critical are replace drive belt on age, replace screen wipers due to juddering.The former I think I'm going to leave till next service as I've not had any issues with it, and the latter I am going to get at Halfords at half the quoted price.

Is there anything in the above that does not make sense to have done now, or could be done cheaper? I know Porsche staff have to suggest the best solution to the problem, which is often to replace as opposed to repair. I am not quite sure what to ask for when I take it to another garage, especially with regards to the leak.

Many thanks!

Nat

Nat Boxster 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:23 AM   #2

WElcome to the forum
sophie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #3

I suggest boxa.net as an active UK based resource. They can give you pointers to shops that are safe to use in your area.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote