Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #1

Looking to get back into Porsche ownership. . .

Hello,

13 years ago I drove a 1987 951 and loved it. I am a Porsche-phile and have recently been looking at acquiring a 2003 986. Any glaring issues to look for? It seems they worked the the engine troubles out with bringing the 2.7 about.

Thank you,

Scott

s131951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s131951 View Post
Hello,

13 years ago I drove a 1987 951 and loved it. I am a Porsche-phile and have recently been looking at acquiring a 2003 986. Any glaring issues to look for? It seems they worked the the engine troubles out with bringing the 2.7 about.

Thank you,

Scott

I'm by no means an expert on this subject but the 2.7 wasn't a fix. If you are looking at the 986 you want to stay with the double bearing IMS cars (2000 and older). Just my 2 cents.
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #3

I like the 2003, updated bodywork and interior, bigger engine, glass window in top. They are right about the single row bearing in the post 2000 being more apt to fail, but a majority of the Boxsters have never had a failure.
Look for a clean well taken care but consistently driven car with service records , and have your favorite mechanic give it a looks see prior to purchase.
Lastly, buy the best you can afford, these cars will nickel and dime you on the small stuff, try to find one sorted out and well maintained.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #4

Thanks so far for the responses. Is the 3.2 engine included in this? This will be my daily driver (not the first choice for many, but I did it with the 951 and an RX-8 as well as a Miata before.) This includes some track events and autocrossing. With some conservative driving for commuting, what is some real-world mileage seen on the base and the S?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Thanks so far for the responses. Is the 3.2 engine included in this? This will be my daily driver (not the first choice for many, but I did it with the 951 and an RX-8 as well as a Miata before.) This includes some track events and autocrossing. With some conservative driving for commuting, what is some real-world mileage seen on the base and the S?

Unfortunately, the 3.2 is not immune to IMS issues. Honestly, if you are considering the purchase of a 2001 or newer, I would just include the IMS bearing replacement in your purchase price ($1800). If you are purchasing a car with 50+ thousand miles you could always replace the clutch while the transmission is out ($2500 total). If you include this going into your purchase it's not so bad. I purchased my 98 Box unknowing the IMS issues . It worried the **************** out of me until Porsche released the failure rate for the double bearing cars (2000 and earlier) at much less than 1%. You are going into this in a much smarter way (doing your research). Good luck with your search!
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #6

I really appreciate all insight. I have to say initially when I read Excellence's articles in 2011 on the $16,000 Porsches and the $15,000 986 S it was a little disheartening with the thoughts on the failures. They said it wasn't much to worry about, but in the same sentence they made mention again of failures. They made it sound as if the earlier 2.5s were the biggest culprits.

In any case, being picky doesn't help my search. I'd really love the triple black version.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
I really appreciate all insight. I have to say initially when I read Excellence's articles in 2011 on the $16,000 Porsches and the $15,000 986 S it was a little disheartening with the thoughts on the failures. They said it wasn't much to worry about, but in the same sentence they made mention again of failures. They made it sound as if the earlier 2.5s were the biggest culprits.

In any case, being picky doesn't help my search. I'd really love the triple black version.
My 2c....

There are plenty of them out there. Be a little picky. When you find the one that you like, get a PPI on it and if it comes back ok buy it and drive it like you stole it. Even on the "newer" 986's the IMS failure rate is not unbelievably high. I know that I don't speak for everyone here, but we are talking about cars that are 10ish years old. Most ten year old cars are going to need some work, and if they weren't maintained will have a certain failure rate.

I kind of look at it like crossing the street. Yes I could get hit by a car. Doesn't mean I stop crossing the street. It means I look both ways first. Then if I still get hit...guess it was my time.

I would recommend getting an "S" model though. Unless you never plan on driving one, it seems as if there is a certain amount of "S" envy.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #8

Test drove a triple black 1997 last night. 33,600 miles. Asking dealership for any records. It originally came from Brumos. What is one of the better ways to have an inspection done in a case like this? The gents I used for the 951 are about 30 minutes away.

It was a blast to get tossed the keys and try it out. Sweet music indeed.