Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #1

what kind of stereos were there in gen1?

We have a 2000 S, and I'm researching replacing the stereo.

It looks like there were three speaker configs:

1. in dash speakers only
2. in dash and in door speakers and maybe read speaker?
3. bose system, in dash, door and rear

Have I got that right? I've searched for a primer but cannot find one.

I'm thinking that #2 came with an outboard amp, #1 relied on the head unit amp, and #3 was that funky bose thing where there were little amps at each speaker?

There were also various combinations of trunk or dash mounted CD changes, and the head units were either a cassette or CD head unit.

---

Ours is #1, with the stock 220 radio and dash speakers.

My first step will be to replace the head unit. The stock one looks appropriate, but is super finiky, can be upgraded to have an AUX or even ipod input, but if you want to get fancier (USB input, bluetooth, even navigation or back up video) you're better off upgrading. Probably go with a JVC unit that allows one to alter the color of the display to be similar to the orange on the climate control.

JVC KD-X50BT

My second step will be to replace the dashboard speakers. Just ordered the adapter rings from Direct Circuit. $20 shipped and I don't have to hack the existing stock speakers and glue in aftermarket ones. http://www.directcircuit.com/installation/porsche/
http://www.directcircuit.com/products/Porsche-Audio-Speaker-Upgrade-Kit-%28US-Only%29.html
Probably go with some Inifiniti 4" coax ones that are less than 2" deep since that appears to be the depth limit.

Infinity REF-400

If we had door speakers, I'd upgrade those too. As it is, I might jump straight to a subwoofer at some point, but that's down the road.

But anyway, I post this because I'm sure someone has collected info about the various stock setups, and I'd love to read up on it. For example, given that our 2000 S had ZERO options added related to the sound system, can I safely assume there is no outboard amp. For example.

Last edited by nathan_h; 12-22-2012 at 08:53 AM.
nathan_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Most of the 986 stereos are pretty weak sauce. The Bose was the best but still mediocre compared with the excellent Mark Levinson sound in my wife's Lexus.
Lexus Mark Levinson Audio Systems | Mark Levinson

I have resisted upgrading the stock stereo for fear of missing out on the symphony coming from the tail pipe.

When I want studio reference quality in the Boxster, I bring these: Amazon.com: Shure E2 Sound Isolating Earphones: Electronics
Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Most of the 986 stereos are pretty weak sauce. The Bose was the best but still mediocre compared with the excellent Mark Levinson sound in my wife's Lexus.
Lexus Mark Levinson Audio Systems | Mark Levinson

I have resisted upgrading the stock stereo for fear of missing out on the symphony coming from the tail pipe.

When I want studio reference quality in the Boxster, I bring these: Amazon.com: Shure E2 Sound Isolating Earphones: Electronics
Those Mark Levinson stereos are sweet. I'm definitely not trying to go there in our 986. I mean, the Lexus is about cushioning one from the road, the driving, the sound, the wind, etc. It wouldn't make sense in the 986. These baby's are about the raw experience of driving.

But in the rain, with the hard top on, sitting at a stop light, I get to thinking: Wow, this audio is crappy, and if I needed to answer a phone call, I couldn't even do so legally (hands free) without fumbling for a headset I undoubtably didn't bring along today.

(By the way, I think those Shure IEMs are cool. I like 'em on planes and when working with power tools. But when driving I'd be afraid I'd hear nothing from outside, even a siren a block away -- not that I'm often hearing sirens when I drive....:dance: )

Last edited by nathan_h; 12-22-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Yep, if I were to upgrade the stereo I would probably go with a new head unit, door speakers and quality dash speakers. A lot of guys do the Sub thing but I think it is the wrong car to add a sub. Getting quality clean bass down to 50hz is plenty in a lightweight sports car IMO. Save the subs for the Rover.

An ipod and IEMs serves me well on long trips. Long drives of 2 hrs or more are the only place I use IEMs and sirens are simply not an issue on the FWY. Around town I never listen to music in the Box because I enjoy the music of the machine too much. YMMV
Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Yep, if I were to upgrade the stereo I would probably go with a new head unit, door speakers and quality dash speakers. A lot of guys do the Sub thing but I think it is the wrong car to add a sub. Getting quality clean bass down to 50hz is plenty in a lightweight sports car IMO. Save the subs for the Rover.

An ipod and IEMs serves me well on long trips. Long drives of 2 hrs or more are the only place I use IEMs and sirens are simply not an issue on the FWY. Around town I never listen to music in the Box because I enjoy the music of the machine too much. YMMV
The prior, original owner of our car did lots right. Good maintenance schedule and records, treated the interior well, etc. but he got the stereo that doesn't even have door speakers....

We'll see what I can do with the dash and head unit. It'll probably be enough
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #6

There are lots of door panels lying around from wrecks for a car that is 11 years old.

Open the front hood and you'll find the place where an amp and CD player could have been mounted.

Start with the dash speakers. Odd size so you may have to make some adapters to fit quality aftermarkets. Then either head and amp or bass emphasis speakers and new door panels.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
There are lots of door panels lying around from wrecks for a car that is 11 years old.

Open the front hood and you'll find the place where an amp and CD player could have been mounted.

Start with the dash speakers. Odd size so you may have to make some adapters to fit quality aftermarkets. Then either head and amp or bass emphasis speakers and new door panels.
Good idea about the door panels. I see some on eBay for 150 each. Probably work on sourcing one locally for each side, from the Bay Area salvage place (Parts Heaven) that specializes in Porsche parts. I will have to be ready to run wires from the head unit to the doors.... Probably a good picture or video tutorial online about that?..... And I should check whether the head unit I have ordered has a built in crossover setting, otherwise I'll need to factor that in.

I went with this one, which I don't think can crossover between the dash speakers and the doors.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX50BT/JVC-KD-X50BT.html

Last edited by nathan_h; 12-27-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
2000 Boxster S

Garage
I've been doing some research also on upgrading the stereo on my 2000 Boxster S. I think I am going with either the Alpine - 50W x 4 AppleŽ iPodŽ-Ready In-Dash CD Deck with MP3 Playback, Model: CDE-133BT
or
Pioneer - 50W x 4 MOSFET AppleŽ iPodŽ-Ready In-Dash CD Deck, Model: DEH-X6500BT

Nothing expensive or big sound.....but should do the job. Any recommendations?
rcbox2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
2000 Boxster S

Garage
Or should I stick with the factory and add an IPOD adapter?
rcbox2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbox2k1 View Post
Or should I stick with the factory and add an IPOD adapter?
If your factory unit is working fine and all you need is tethered iPod integration, that might be the cleanest way to go.

We need Bluetooth and mp3 playback, and are an android plus iOS household, so it wouldn't work for us.

The aux-in option almost gets us there but not quite, and our stereo is flakey, anyway.