Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

paranoid about 05 s that I can buy

all this ims talk has me going crazy about an 05 s ,1 owner, that I have been looking at at a porsche dealer...help!!!

kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #2

Don't be concerned. Just plan on replacing it when your clutch goes out.

Mine is original and I no longer worry. The newer the model, the fewer have problems.

Just remember to drive it like you stole it and the IMS will remain well lubricated. That's what I do... The guys that never take it to redline always have motor issues.

These Porsche motors are really quite dependable. Only a small percentage of motors have IMS issues.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
1998 Boxster

I thought that I had read that starting with 2005, it requires splitting the case in order to change the IMS bearing. Can anyone clarify this?
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah rah 986 View Post
I thought that I had read that starting with 2005, it requires splitting the case in order to change the IMS bearing. Can anyone clarify this?
That is correct; starting in 2005, many of the cars carried the "final solution" IMS bearing that is too large to fit through the opening in the rear of the case. There is also no proven method to determine which cars have it, other than to pull the flywheel and look for the 22M center bolt that only that IMS bearing had.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #5

Few thoughts:

1) Don't worry about it.
2) Since the car is at a Porsche dealership, have them CPO the car. Will add about $2,000 to the purchase price, give or take.
3) It may have the improved IMS bearing that was put into the 2006 model year. I've seen some of these 2005's with the improvement.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #6

Any car you buy can have a problem.

Any used car 7 years old can have a problem.

There are other problems that can occur besides this most publicized one.

Doing something entails risk. Not doing something means you won't have the joy of driving a beautiful machine.

I knew and blogged about problems and still I bought another and mine had the worst bearing of the three designs. I enjoyed. That was me. If you are going to be concerned enough to not enjoy the car, don't.

2009 on has no IMS. $$$$
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #7

buy it drive it break it fix it drive it ....drive it drive

BUY IT NO WORRIES 02 S 108,000 no ims replace and dont really care did I say DRIVE IT BUY IT FIX IT

nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote