Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #1

Finally got one!

Picked up my 2003 S last week.
28,000 miles.
So much fun to drive...
I have really appreciated all of the threads here. Based on this site, I had a PPI done and everything checked out ok. Had them inspect the filter and it was spotless. However, the mechanic did speak with me about IMS issues on these cars and the LN replacement option. I am thinking of doing it just as a precautionary measure. These catastrophic engine failures are scary to read about. Should I wait for clutch to go or just bite the bullet now?
Anyway, did my first oil change today. I used the Rhino ramps and they worked great. I think I made a rookie mistake of putting too much oil in though. Added 9 quarts of Mobile 1 0W-40. The electronic level shows that it is totally full. Oil is coming up a little high on the dipstick (above the top line). Worried that when the oil gets hot and expands, then it will create problems.
Should I loosen the drain plug and take some out?
Let me know your thoughts on IMS upgrade and oil if you get a chance.
BTW - if there are any 986 fans that want to meet up for a drive, or to work on your car in the Phoenix area, send me a message. I am trying to make this car a DIY project as much as I can. Cant do anything major myself. I don't know alot about cars but want to learn the 'ins and outs' of this machine!

Happy Driving!

bmarti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Very good looking boxster congrats. When i did my oil change i put in around 9.25 in my 2000base model and it was fine. The thing is that when you drain the oil on a slope you don't get all the oil out. I had mine on all four jack stands and let it drip for about an hour while working on other components. Now it wouldn't hurt to remove a little oil from your engine by loosening the drain plug. Plus you have the ramps so it should be easy and it gives you piece of mind. Hope this helps.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #3

Nice car !!

I'm in the same situation as you my clutch is in perfect working order so at this stage I'm just going to sit it out and then maybe think about the upgrade.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #4

Garage
Welcome to the boxster world!

The IMS bearing, for whatever reason, seems to be more prone to low mileage cars. Generally I tell people to wait til they need a clutch. However; Since that could be anywhere from 60-100k miles from now, (Depending on how hard you are on it) you may want to replace it earlier. The last thing you want is an engine failure! You can always have the IMS Guardian installed. This may save your motor, but if you plan on doing the bearing anyways, IMHO the guardian is a waste of money.

As for over filling your car with engine oil. Being slightly over isn't going to hurt anything. Being extremely full can cause problems, but as you describe it there is no need for concern. There is something called blow-by (as I've always, and always heard it referred to as), which is basically oil getting into the intake at WoT or in heavy cornerning (or both), due to slightly overfull oil level. Honestly, no reason for concern.

Hopefully you're as happy as I was when i got my S!!

Happy Boxstering and feel free to ask anymore questions!
Brad
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate all of the advice
bmarti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #6

Garage
Nice looking car!!
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #7

Beautiful color.Very classy.Enjoy
lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #8

I recently also purchased a 2003 Guards Red Boxster S that had 25,000 on the odometer. I am by nature a worry wort so when my local Porsche mechanic who inspected the car mentioned the IMS issue I opted to have an LN Engineering ceramic bearing installed. He drained the oil before installing the bearing and didn't find any problems. I now drive the car with complete confidence and I'
am enjoying every minute behind the wheel. They are great cars.

Rcomito is offline   Reply With Quote