Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

2001 Boxster S with 3,100 actual miles!

I am looking at a 2001 Boxster S with only 3,100 actual miles! The car is currently owned by an older gentleman who says he only drove it a couple hundred miles a year and then stored it in a heated, indoor, private collection in the winter (approximately six months).

The owner and car are known and have been personally vouched for by a mutual friend of the highest integrity – who also has a significant financial interest to not screw me over. My friend is a long-time Porsche owner who made the introduction when I told him I was looking for a Boxster – this will be an un-advertised, private transaction.

The car was just taken out of storage and I'm finally going to see it this week. From all indications it will look factory new. I feel the asking price is fair, but the ridiculously low miles scare me to death.

If interested, I already have a highly respected shop ready to complete a thorough PPI. In addition, if I do purchase this vehicle, I plan to have the same shop completely go over the car and service everything. Also, I am considering having the LN IMS Retrofit installed soon after purchase for peace of mind.

Even putting IMS and RMS fears aside, this car's possible, original warranty issues were never even discovered – which frightens me. Should I seriously consider this car or run away? What issues am I going to face buying such a low mileage vehicle? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Utahridge; 04-16-2012 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Spelling! Grammer
Utahridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #2

Garage
It never ceases to amaze me the irrational fear and thinking that occurs whenever a seemingly low mileage, pristine condition vehicle that is said to have been properly stored comes up for sale . Yes, I know the typical BS mentality about it not being good for a vehicle to just sit around, and how oil and fluids don't get circulated, and things dry out over time, yadda yadda . In my opinion, if everything checks out, one should feel privileged to have come across what sounds like a rare opportunity to pick up a mint condition boxster .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 04-16-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
By the car and know that you will be one lucky individual with a "practically brand new 11 year old car.

Now things you do need to do. Change the oil and filter, change the fuel filter and find out how old the gas in the engine is and if you can drain and put new in if significantly old. Check all the hoses for signs of rot and check your belt to see if it is cracked. If the shop you are taking it to is going to do this it is a moot point, but if you plan on caring for her...then you will at a minimum need to do this.

Good luck and go buy the car and post some pics up here for us to drool over!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #4

Garage
I feel like I should also raise the question of if you really want a car with that low of miles. Every mile you put on it, you may be the kind of person that watches that odometer tick up and hate yourself for slowly killing what attracted you, and others, to that particular car. I've seen this a lot with people that buy low mileage cars and end up buying something else to eat the majority of their daily miles.

However; for the general fear that people have of super low miles... Don't worry about it. I agree that the IMS bearing is probably a good idea, along with a complete fluid flush. Transmission, brake fluid, oil, differential, coolant, etc. All of them is a good idea. It gives you a good idea of where you are starting and all that has been done and most of all, gives you the peace of mind.

Good luck! Hope it all goes well, and I would LOVE to see some pictures
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
WV Boxster

Garage
If you pass please send me a PM with info. I would not worry about the miles if car is in good shape.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #6

Nice find but I would rather have low miles put on every year other wise you be to be aware of bushings, hoses, belts and rubber. Have a qualified Porsche mechanic go thru it. Sounds like a good deal ... is the asking price is near Blue Book /
Iskjone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #7

Garage
Also, these cars do have a problem with if they are not driven, and then are suddenly driven a considerable amount, if not well maintained everything begins to fail. You may be looking at a new water pump, alternator, gaskets, bushings, hoses, ect. At the very beginning of ownership. Many people think just because they don't drive their cars means they do not need to maintain them. So ask for maintance history and be prepaired for all the things I listed.
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #8

New Boxster Owner

Thank you for all of the feedback. I ultimately purchased the car. The retired gentleman brought the Boxster to my place of work to see and test drive the other day, which provided me the opportunity to have a half a dozen knowledgeable guys to go over the vehicle. The general consensus was that it was perfect. It looked like it had been kept in a time capsule. The test drive was as good as it looked – with just a slight hint of some flat spotting.

The very next day I had the PPI performed at a respected Porsche dealer. At first they were shocked in disbelief of the mileage on the odometer for a 2001. However at the end of the PPI they were believers. They even questioned the previous owner how he perfectly preserved the car. In fact, they said even though the original, 11 year old, Pilots were still on the car they were in new condition. Also, no leaks and all belts and hoses were like new. I asked about driving on such old tires and about having a complete fluid swap, and they said they didn't want to just take my money – this is coming from a Porsche dealer. They said the car was perfect right now and to just drive it as is.

WARNING: I don't want to start an IMS debate here. I also asked about the IMS issue and the service writer said in two years he had only seen one and it was on a 996 (complete engine replacement). The mechanic said in his nine years he also had only seen one. Just passing on their observations (large volume dealer in a major metro market).

So for now I am not going to address an IMS retrofit and will proceed at my own risk. I'm taking the attitude that should the engine blow, while it will hurt financially, I'll be putting a replacement engine in what is essentially a new chassis and I will still be into the car for far less than what a new Boxster would cost.

When I get a decent weather day around here I will take some photos and post them. Thanks again for all of the feedback.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #9

I would not trust those tires. Rubber degrades over time. Replace them.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #10

That's what the dealer said at the PPI and that they don't recommend driving on tires older than 5-6 six years old. However, they said they could see no degradation of the rubber in my case. I also had a close friend who is a car nut and once a certified mechanic make the same statement regarding the tires. I was ready to buy tires, however everyone that knows more than me, that's seen my tires, says don't waste your money.

I plan to keep a close eye on the tires. I will probably put 3-4 thousand miles on the car this summer which will double its current mileage. My thinking is with the age of the tires they will degrade very fast. At the first sign of real wear they're gone.

Last edited by Utahridge; 04-20-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 04-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #11

I certainly wouldn't do any high speed driving.... You can't see the inside of that tread.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #12

If I may ask, how much?

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:55 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahridge View Post
At the first sign of real wear they're gone.
My understanding of the problem with old rubber is not that it wears more quickly, its that it can cause tread separation.

It's obviously your choice, but I'd swap the rubber out ASAP. Not worth the risk.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
WV Boxster

Garage
Go to a tire dealer. I have owned rvs for years and always change rubber due to time. Never wear.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #15

Wow - great story and congrats on the awesome find!

Be cautious on those tires but sure, run 'em if just everyday driving. I wouldn't put 'em on a track or even AX but you should be fine for out and about; particularly if not subject to UV exposure which sounds to be true by of the storage method.

As for not addressing the IMS... be very careful saying that aloud or you'll be quickly labeled a vendor hater

Drive her in good health and definitely post pix when you have a chance.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #16

pictures...without them, this thread is worthless!!! :-)
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #17

I wanted to take better pictures with my real camera, but the weather just hasn't cooperated. Consequently, I am posting two images that I took on my cell phone the day I first saw and test drove the car. Sorry for the poor quality. This should prove that's it's not a Unicorn.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #18

Garage
The car looks great, Utah! Nice find. Start putting the miles on, and enjoy!
I'd watch the tires closely, especially if you drive it hard. As for the IMS, you could consider the IMSGaurdian since you won't be needing a clutch anytime soon with those low miles. I got one and I will finishing installing it this Spring. It gves me added peace of mind at a lower cost than replacing the bearing.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #19

Very nice, buy it!
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #20

Garage
Excellent - - count yourself very lucky !