Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Purchase Opinions

I have been looking a bit for my first Boxster and found a couple that I am interested in your opinions on. I am just south of LA.

1st car is a silver '03 with 61k miles. Dealer asking $15.3k. Everything works fine, has 17" wheels with nice Conti's and fresh brakes. Don't know about other service, will check with the dealer that is listed on the Carfax for previous service

2nd car is speed yellow '00 with 88k miles. Private seller asking $12.5k. this car has new clutch, new L&N IMS bearing, new tires, new brakes, just completed 90k service.

I have not driven the 2000 yet. Given the recent maintenance, and the upgraded IMS, are the higher miles something that folks would be concerned with?

There are also a couple of lower mileage cars around, a '03 with 53k and a '04 with 43k, but dealers are asking $18k and $19k, and both have the original bearing. Part of me is thinking go with a slightly cheaper/higher mileage car and use the money saved for clutch/IMS upgrade, or in the case of the 2000, refresh suspension or ? Not sure 10 or 20k less miles is worth $3-$4k. Obviously I would have a PPI, probably with Tony Callas as he is only a mile or two away

Any thoughts? It is nice to have so many options so close

Thanks, sorry for the long post

Len

LenA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

Just got in from a New Years eve party with the "Famous" John99boxter AND the "Famous" Johnny Danger !!! WOW !!! These guys know the answer !!! Max
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #3

Garage
From what I have seen an heard during my time with Boxsters, I would actually go for the higher mileage Boxsters as one way to increase the likelihood of an IMS failure seems to be to only drive a low amount of miles per year.

The 2003 Boxster will have the glass rear window, which is a bonus but you have to offset this with say $3000 for a new clutch, RMS and IMS upgrade (I only say new clutch as you should budget for it needing to be replaced at the time you pull it off to get to the IMS and RMS and just be really happy if it turns out it is not needed.)
2001 Boxster S - 997 GT3 bodykit, Techart Wheels, Air Suspension, 2DIN stereo-GPS-Bluetooth-Reverse numberplate camera, rear speakers, Park assist, PSM, Litronic, Porsche Crests in the headrests, Rebuilt engine-IMS upgrade,Eurocup Boxster matched tube manifolds-twin high-flow cats- twin high flow rear silencers, Short-shift kit.

1999 Boxster - Xenon dip, Main and fog, Park assist, stereo-GPS-Bluetooth, rear speakers, sub-woofer
fooksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Drive both a couple of times, you'll know which one you want. Ya all the bearing and clutch and financials matter but you've got to like the car. Drive with tops up and down. The difference in hp is not much 217/225. 2003 has a bunch of nice improvements. The 2000 is Yellow ...classic!

Good luck! Keep us posted.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
Just got in from a New Years eve party with the "Famous" John99boxter AND the "Famous" Johnny Danger !!! WOW !!! These guys know the answer !!! Max
That must have been my double, because I was on assignment .
Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

Garage
Speed yellow all the way !
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

John99 & Danger, U's guys are the BEST !!! Nice to know u's Max
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #8

An easy choice for me on the financials/mechanicals.

I'd rather have the higher mileage car which had an excellent service history. 90k =$1k value, tires could be $.6-1.2k value, IMS = $1k value. But the other service items this car might have had along the way being possibly owned by a car lover might be worth something too.

The only counter argument for me is the '03 does have some features that are nice (top, glove box).

You don't say what tires, what options. The devil is in the details.

Do have a Pre-Purchase Inspection done by some mechanic who really knows these cars.

Now the color is another consideration as I've has 2 AS cars and wouldn't have a SY car if you gave it to me. But it is your opinion that matters.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote