Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

What is a good price for "03" S

I appreciate any help as to a good offering price for a 2003 S.

From my discussion wtih the owner: Two owner car, midnight blue, beige leather/heated, clean car fax, no auto-X or DE, 2' hard to detect scratch on passenger side rocker panal, 20,000 miles, no IMS/RMS issues, no trans issues, denies any fluid leaks, advised to have brakes looked at in 5-7,000 miles is unsure if this entailed rotors-$$$$, cod AC, Bose premium stero with changer and sub woffer, possible PASM. Has his service records, but not from original owner. Told Mobil one used.

Auction prices are $19,500 - 21,000 for 03 S, 2005 with 25K is at $26,500

KBB in good condition is 21,140, retail excellent condition is $ 25,400, but scratch and lack of service records fails this catagory imo.

What do you think? Thanks.

renvagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #2

Offer $20K and negotiate, negotiate, and negotiate. Take your time, there are a ton of Porsche for sale. You will find the right one.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #3

If the car has 20k miles then it's a long way offf from needing pads or rotors....unless all of those 20k miles were spent on a track. I wouldn't worry too much about the brakes. The scratch and lack of service history may be a bargining chip and help you negotiate a better price. My advice, spend 200-300 bucks and get a PPI done if you're serious about the car.

Last edited by Adam; 09-24-2009 at 04:37 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #4

No IMS issue? It doesn't have an IMS?
986Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #5

Think he meant

no leaks or history of leaks. Future failures are up to the gods and their whimsy.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #6

I was at my local PCA meeting last night and one of the guys had an 03, low milage, with a trip, that he paid 30,000 for three years ago. He thinks 22,000 would be about top dollar. PPI is a must! What are your thoughts since I am new to this car? Thanks for the input.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #7

03' S

if this is the best example of a 986S that you have come across, considering car overall condition, options, color etc. the price of $22000 is i think reasonable if you really like the car... PPI could also play major role... RMS and IMS could also be an issue down the road , due to the car having such a low mileage... could have been babied too much, or could have been tracked and redlined a few times..
with today's economic climate, and the availability of used cars in the U.S. i would look around ie: cars.com/autotrader etc, even if it's out state could be worth it..
i for example have picked up my 04'S around the Tyson's Corner area in Virginia, and was all worth the trip, considering i bought it last Dec'07 when the market was just on the downturn and i still paid around $32k at that time ... car was MINT/not a scratch with all the desirable options aside from pasm, color(atlas metallic gray) is amazing.. i wish i could have been in the market for one now, it's a buyer's market out there.. take your time and you'll find the right one.. i would not settle for anything less than mint for $$$ you're willing to spend.
good luck hope this helps. :dance:
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone for the input, the search continues.