Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #1

Base model vs. S model suspension vs. M030?

I am researching the purchase of a used Boxster - base or S model.

I have so far only driven a couple of base model cars. My dad has a base model 2000 that has the M030 suspension setup on it. Compared to his car, the "standard" suspension cars feel soft.

For example - his car with 18" wheels vs a base w/17" wheels - the handling difference is noticeable. His car corners FLAT and rides a bit harder. the M030 w/18s feels amazing..whereas the base model car iwth 17"s feels softer and I can feel some body roll.

Now that I have driven HIS car, I don't think I'd be happy with a base w/17's. Not sure how a base w/18s would feel or how an S model w 18s woudl feel.

I can go out and try to test drive more cars - but I was hoping someone here maybe coudl shed light - is the suspension on a base model a lot different than an "S" model - and how much stiffer/sportier/better is the M030 setup my dad's car has vs what an "S" comes with standard?

maybe I could find a relatively nice "S" model and even if it has "regular S model" suspension and 18s, it would be close enough that I'd like it??

thanks.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #2

This thread is going to open up another can of worms.. LOL
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #3

I've seen the Base vs. S threads...i'm not really trying to start THAT one.

I"m on curious as to actual handling. I have driven my dad's base - he has the M030 suspension package and 18" wheels. while i havent' driven any ferraris or lambos - i have driven quite a few "sports" cars that are supposed to be super handling type cars. in my opinion, his boxster is one of the BEST handling cars I have ever driven. it's like you are one with the car. I absolutely LOVE it. which is why I now want to buy one.

i'm not so focused on raw power and whether the base or S is "faster"... but i'm curious, from the perspective of a person who will be trying to purchase the newest/lowest mileage car for the best price - I can always find a base model that does NTO have the M030 and add it. OR I can find an S model that has standard "S" model suspension.. my question is whether the "S" model regulard suspension, which I believe it "better" than the base models' would be AS good as the base model with M030?

base model vs "S" model suspension vs M030

if the base model is a 5 and the M030 is a 10.
is the "S" model suspension a 6, 7, 8, or 9.?? meaning...where is the best bang for the buck in terms of suspension....

no point looking high/low for a low mileage base model with M030 if I can find an "S" for similar money with "regular S" suspension IF the "S" suspension is an 8. I might not notice that much different.

if the S suspension is a 6 and the M030 is a 10 - I might notice THAT.

I want my car to be on rails.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Well, I have an '08 base with 19" wheels and I think it handles great. The only other boxster I drove is an '04 S and I didn't notice much difference, but that's not a lot of comparing. Just the way I was looking at things, I wanted a new Boxster with a warranty and didn't think it was worth spending the extra money for an S, but that's just me. Ask me again in a few years and I might want an S. I just say drive a few and see how you like them, but a there are lot of much more knowledgable people on here than myself that can probably give you more specific advice.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
I want my car to be on rails.
If that's what you want, just invest all your money on sticky tires.

I find a lot of people bury themselves in the whole debate, the suspension can only do so much before your tires lose traction.

You have to remember - It's your tires that touches the road, not the suspension!

Get something that's barely street-legal... like this Yokohama here.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Neova+ AD07
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Ike

2 cents and a cup of coffee...

Mr. VC,

Here is my opinion on a suspension modification I have made:

I had a 2003 Boxster S with 18" wheels. Standard S suspenion, stock Dunlop tires.

I changed to -> Michelin Pilot Sport 2s, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, M030 sways, 7mm front and 21mm rear spacers. I dropped the car 2", and have an "aggressive street" camber.

I did not do an incremental change. The original S suspension and tires performed very well. It was the reason I bought an S! After driving it for 4 years, I wanted more sports in my car.

With the new suspension set up and tires, Shazzam! Roll is only apparent in yank the wheel go-kart type manuvers. On a mountain two lane with hairpins and 35mph curves, one can pull hard Gs with no washyness and that beautiful boxster balance plays right to the fuzzy limits of the Michelins. At higher speeds, I admit that the driver is the limiting factor to pushing this car. I have pulled many U-turns and headed back through a stretch of canyon trying to get brakes, apex, and throttle just right.

The real tribute, my wife likes the ride of the PSS9s and M030s better than the stock. (She rode my @ss about how uncomfortable the new ride WOULD be.)

Good luck with what ever your choice is. You can not go wrong.....you are driving a boxster!

Ike

PS: oops, I forgot the front strut tower brace.

Last edited by Ike; 07-12-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote