Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #1

06' Boxster -- Need Opinions

Hi all. This is a first post. Been lurking for a while to get some knowledge before I purchase anything. I ran across this 06' 987 in Dallas with 17k miles for 35k. Test drove it today but I would get a PPI before seriously considering it. The only negative was that I sometimes heard a buzzing noise behind me when decelerating with the clutch depressed. I'm not accustomed to Boxster noises so I don't know what's normal. Anyway, it sounded like something was resonating. The Internet manager said he had no problems with me taking it to a Porsche mechanic for a PPI but he thought it would be a waste since the car is still under warranty. Opinions?

So my questions are 1. Is this about the right price for a 987 with 17k miles? 2. There appeared to be an amp in the front trunk at the bottom behind a carpet panel... is this the stock location for the amp? 3. Was told it had the upgraded Bose system. Don't know if it's option 490 or 680. I didn't look to see if there were speakers behind the grills. Is there an easy way to tell?

Oh, and it had the bi-xenons and heated seats too.

gpurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:47 AM   #2

I'm purchasing an '04 w / 6k miles that is still under warranty, so I wrestled w / the PPI as well. I spoke with the servicing dealer, and he vouched for the integrity of the car. I figured since it is still under warranty, a Car Fax would suffice.

The 986 has an amp under the front bonnet behind the spare tire...not sure about the 987.

Good luck!
alpinewhite325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #3

sounds pretty good

I have a 986S with the Bose system, and that's a similar location for the amp, though mine is mounted more towards the top, and is not behind a panel (I assume for better air flow and access). I don't mean to be a 'wise guy', but what about turning the system on and listening to see if the speakers are in there and working properly?? (Or are you suggesting that they might have put on the Bose grille, but not the real Bose speakers? Seems like a pretty unlikely trick, but perhaps I'm naive).

As for the PPI - my guess is that you'll get suggestions to get one anyway, particularly since you already have a concern about an odd noise, but I tend to agree with you that because it is under warranty, its not as critical as it usually might be. As for the sound itself, mine is Tiptronic, so I can't tell you about 'normal' sounds with the manual gearbox.

The price seems pretty good to me - I'll echo the usual wisdom - check cars.com, and eBay motors for like vehicles, then average, then take in to account the options and conditions, and you can confirm for yourself that the price is fair. Don't forget that with the current economy, they might show considerably more flexibility than usual.

One option you did not mention - does it have PSM? That's a 'must have' for some folks, and one of the few things that you cannot add later on.

Please keep us informed as to what you end up doing. If that car is not 'the one', you might be able to get some good leads on these boards.