Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #1

Window Tear

2002 Box. A few days ago I noticed a tear in my plastic rear window. It's about 1/3 inch wide, and in the middle. It's barely noticeable (to others besides myself). I can't think of how it could have "accidently" occured. The upholstery shop rep recommended I replace the entire top. I can always just claim it with my insurance, but I'd like to know if there are any options besides spending $1200 for a new top, or $500 to get a new plastic window sewn in. Can a plastic window tear be repaired?

softroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by softroop
2002 Box. A few days ago I noticed a tear in my plastic rear window. It's about 1/3 inch wide, and in the middle. It's barely noticeable (to others besides myself). I can't think of how it could have "accidently" occured. The upholstery shop rep recommended I replace the entire top. I can always just claim it with my insurance, but I'd like to know if there are any options besides spending $1200 for a new top, or $500 to get a new plastic window sewn in. Can a plastic window tear be repaired?
To make it simple... no.
Its already torn/ripped, so you can try glueing in a patch... nothing to lose now.
Please report back what you end up doing. I would like to know if patching works and what glue you might use.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #3

I just went through this. The way I figured it, even if I replaced the window the remaining top is still X number of years old. Sure it was in great shape but it is cloth and it will tear simply from age and the elements. IMP Just bite the bullet and replace the entire top. That is the way I went, although it cost me a fortune. I had a Porsche top installed. $2,200 but the car is happy
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by softroop
The tear cannot be repaired without a cosmetic issue.

There are some write-ups that discuss your options here: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #5

Claimed mine with the insurance company. Looked like a "cut" if you know what I mean. Comprehensive covered an entire new top. I replaced it with the GAHH and am very happy. I paid 1500.00 installed with the heated back glass.

Best of luck!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote