Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #1

Q: Infrared sensors with the top down

I'm new here. Bought my 01 Boxster less than two weeks ago. The info I found on this forum (and others) was invaluable -- and the social aspect that I observed here and elsewhere was also instrumental in this purchase. The credit for all the useful information goes to not only those who answered the queries, but also to those who posed the questions. So, thanks all!

That said, I do have a question of my own . Per the manual, the infrared cabin sensors (that check for activity inside the cabin) get activated when the car is locked with the top up. However, these sensors are deactivated when the car is locked with the top down.

Now, I've seen a red "clip" that apparently fits into the overhead top latch (the one we finally "press into" when putting the top back up). This clip is supposed to fool the car's security computer into thinking that the top is up, thus activating the infrared cabin sensors. This ensures that the car alarm will sound if someone tries to reach into the cabin area.

The rub is, when I called the porsche service dept. to ask about such a thing, they said they knew nothing of it. I have also tried searching on various forums, without any luck.

Do any of you know what I am talking about? If yes, any ideas where this clip could be obtained (and for how much)? Is this a DIY item (e.g., bend a piece of metal and connect here and here...)? Thanks!

Last edited by vbhagwan; 08-27-2007 at 08:05 PM.
vbhagwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and the wild world of Boxster ownership.

I think you can order the red clip from Sunset Porsche in Oregon. They sell Porsche parts cheaper than any stealership and have had most everything I have ever asked for.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Welcome to the forum and the wild world of Boxster ownership.

I think you can order the red clip from Sunset Porsche in Oregon. They sell Porsche parts cheaper than any stealership and have had most everything I have ever asked for.
Thanks for confirming that it exists . Do you know if the red clip has a part # or any other "official" name it goes by? The parts dept at Stevens Creek porsche here in San Jose knew nothing about it. Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
boxsterz

I purchased mine at the local dealership. IIRC it was 7 bucks, same as Ebay without the extra shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-Genuine-Boxster-986-Red-C-Clip-Activates-Alarm_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33720QQihZ016QQit emZ260153995569QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Old 08-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
Awesome -- thanks guys! Worst case I can now take this to the parts dept. to show them what I'm talking about. Love this forum
Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Not sure of the part number but you might want to explain to the parts department its the same clip that comes with the Speedster Humps.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #7

Thanks, that helps! Will post in the thread if I do get a part # from the dealer (for posterity's sake).
Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 AM   #8

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #9

I was just about to tell you to send a PM to "toolpants" and he could tell you what it is and where to buy it. He's near you geographically. You are lucky. You should meet up with him when you can and shake his hand for me. He's been a world of help to me over the last four years!

Jeff, one can always count on you and your incredible archive of boxster-related photos!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #10

Already met him, at the Laguna Seca drive.

I had a bunch of the clips that I would give to new owners. Back in the old days I could get them for 50 cents. Porsche has since jacked up the price.

Vbhagwan should call Chris Boyd in parts at Stevens Creek Porsche. In the old days they use to keep them in stock, and sometimes give them away at tech sessions. But Stevens Creek was sold last year to Penske....
Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Edd

Red Clip

Just recieved the following quote for a "red clip":
--------
From: <JeffClark@****************************************************.com>
To: <ed-ait@pacbell.net>

2.74 for that and in stock, plus 7-10 dollars UPS shipping but I can
slide this through the mail system for about 2.50 I'd think. Let me
know. Jeff.

Have it on order, just waiting for the mailman to arrive.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #12

Thanks Toolpants and others. Now I have one more reason for wishing I'd bought this car a few years ago . I'll make my way to Stevens Creek this afternoon to pick up the part.

I did meet toolpants (and duster and unklekraker) at the laguna seca drive -- great bunch of folks. In fact, I ended up riding shotgun in Jeff's car on the track. I got to learn the origins of the name toolpants, witnessed that his car was chock full of tools, laptops, parts, more parts (spark plugs in the map pockets, iirc)

He even did a diagnostic check on my car, and I was so darn pleased when he told me that the car had been babied . I can't wait to spend more time with the wonderful community locally and start working on these cars!

I know I'm repeating myself, but thanks again all!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #13

Went to Stevens Creek porsche, met with Chris, picked up the clip for <$8 ($7.xx). He just gave me a used one (it appeared that he had one lying around), but of course charged me full price

In any case, thanks all for your help with this! Now I can step away from my car when the top is down (but only for a min or two, don't want to tempt the neighborhood cat or the kids chewing gum )
Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #14

Well, don't get too cheeky about the infrared's efficiency. It really only scans the area around the cubby holes and as far back as the shifter.

Anyone can reach down and get things out of your door pockets, so keep your windows rolled up to the top when using the red clip. This really cuts down on people being able to reach into the car to snag stuff.

BTW, I NEVER leave my radar detector on the windshield when I step away from the car. If the wife is with me and we're in a public place with a lot of cars and people, I will often ask her to put it in her purse in case someone watched me drive into the parking lot. Of course, pulling down as I enter a crowded place is the best course of action, but you probably know all of this.

The other thing you must watch out for is thugs stealing your center windstop and your roll bar inserts. They pop out very quickly, are not tied to the alarm system, aren't covered by the infrared sensor, and sell very quickly on fleaBay. Someone said they took a couple of long black zip ties and secured the roll bar inserts at the bottom where it was not noticeable and that seems to keep sticky fingers from popping them out or the insert from blowing out on the freeway when a gust of wind hits them just right or worst of all, when one's passenger decides to recline their seat so far back that the headrest pushes it out of its place.

You made a good point with the gum. People of all ages can be disrespectful when they are envious and I had someone spit out their gum into my driver's side and it landed on my brand new floor mat. :troll:
Old 08-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #15

Thanks for the comments Randall. I did "try it out" in the dealership parking lot, and realized that the sensors had limited "vision". I could however make out that reaching in with the windows up is very tough even for a tall person (I'm 6'2"). Good tip on the zip-ties -- I should do that.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
dkh

Very helpful info here. But will the alarm go off if someone just removes the red clip when the alarm is activated?
dkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ Probably because the sensors with notice the movement of your arms, while your trying to remove it, if not because it notices a change.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkh
Very helpful info here. But will the alarm go off if someone just removes the red clip when the alarm is activated?
No........
Old 01-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #19

You really don't even need the clip.
You can set the infra red sensors by pressing the microswitch with your finger while activating the alarm, either by using the remote or with the key in the door lock.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 01-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #20

Pedro, I don't doubt for a minute that what you're proposing is true.

However, with the windows up to prevent reach-in thefts of the contents in the map pockets (which are not covered by the infrared motion sensor) one would have to have to possess freakishly long arms, no?