Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > Latest Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2003, 04:23 AM   #1

Unhappy 46 Users online? No posts.

At 5:20 AM (Pacific DT) I come to check the forums and see there are 45 guests online right now, much to my surprise. Not a single new post though. Then I notice that the most ever online was today (7/6/03) and that there were 58 online. No posts. What gives? Are those numbers real?

mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 05:19 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

Those numbers can't be real. I don't really understand how the server knows when users have "left" the forum, but I suspect it is holding on to old sessions.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bigbadbob0
The server can't count. It just says something like if a user has requested a page in the last 10 minutes or so then they are logged in.

Also, if a registered user comes along but hasn't logged in yet, they will be counted twice after logging in. Once as their registered self and once as a guest.
bigbadbob0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
JT
Administrator and Founder

Actually, if you guys had admin privs like I do you could see the IP address of these users. They are search engines crawling through the site.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:14 AM   #5

Ah crawlers....that makes sense.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:45 AM   #6

Talking Having too much fun to post?

See, here's the deal, we are just geeks. I personally check the forum almost every day (perhaps several times?) and certainly am disappointed when there are no new posts. Sometimes the posts just don't interest me, but if I have something to contribute I certainly will. Maybe the majority of our members are just out in the real world having too much fun in the summer sun and can't be bothered to read or post anything.
William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 05:47 PM   #7

Face it William

The reason for the low traffic is that this is just not a popular Boxster forum, for reasons I can't really understand. That's the real deal. Oh well.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:14 AM   #8

Talking Yeah, we are just geeks!

Popular? I guess not. But the only other forum (you know PPBB) seems to be dominated by the Boxster Nazis. If you step out of line, post an incorrect opinion, etc. you are banned for life. So, what are the options?
Old 07-09-2003, 02:30 AM   #9

Talking Yeah William, I know.

Yeah William, I know how it is over at PPBB. I go there to read the posts and lurk, rarely post over there. I find some useful info over there now and then.

The attitude of the admins over there leaves a lot to be desired. Generally, the atmosphere reminds me of the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" episode.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Oh well, you learn to live with that too I guess.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:05 AM   #10

Talking So they got all the traffic and we got the tumble weeds!

Wish I knew how to make it different. Most of the stuff on PPBB has no interest for me. In fact the posts are so long that I can't even skim through them on the average day. Well, ranting won't help, what will?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:47 AM   #11
JT
Administrator and Founder

I think this is a good forum and one day will pick up. hopefully before I die None the less, the least that PPBB could do is change that software they use
Old 07-12-2003, 07:28 PM   #12

My last post on PPBB brought 4 messages to me - all obnoxious, condensending, and down right bull****************. I agree, I go there to surf, read, but will never post again.

I do not understand what keeps it so active. Also, I can not figured out why this forum is so slow. I for one think it is awesome!!!
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 03:11 AM   #13
Regional Moderator

Things I like about this forum:

-Posts do not mysteriously disappear, and without explaination
-You can edit your posts after posting if you made typos
-It is easy to post pictures, and they are embedded in the thread and won't fail to "link"
-Very easy to browse new messages (just click "view new messages", no insanely long lists
-Threads never "drop off the bottom" when they get old, and even messages from years ago can be easy read and responded to.

Why am I still a regular on PPBB? Well, the traffic is awesome. You could get locked out of your car and post your problem and have an answer 5 minutes later.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:01 AM   #14

Smile Things I like about this forum!

The people! This forum has the absolutely best quality members, even if you are just plain wierd (like me?)(I just bought a 1974 914 2.0 for a project car, does that qualify?) never, never does someone talk down to you and trash you like the daily results on PPBB. I surf there, but will never post on that site because the members are pompous jerks.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:41 AM   #15
Anon

members are pompous jerks

[quote]members are pompous jerks

PPBB has to be the most anal bunch of people I have ever run across. I love owning the Boxster, but not to the point of being ridiculous about it. Some of the posts over there just have me shaking my head in disbelief.