Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > Latest Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2004, 03:52 AM   #1
Regional Moderator

First look at 987

Next to the 997. What do you think?

CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:46 AM   #2

great pics but the changes are minor from the front. The front spoiler has been changed almost looking with the turbo look & the lights are more smaller. That is all I can discern from the picture so far. Overall evolutionary change rather than radical remodeling. The proof of the pudin will be in the engine packaging. Let's see what Porsche is going to give the Boxster?
Old 05-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #3

Beautiful cars...I still think the Boxster looks better than the 911 convertible though. I just think the 911 looks funny after the doors in convertible form.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 05:31 PM   #4

I agree that the Boxster is better looking than 911 Conv.

I guess there is gonna be a 997 Cabrio in '06? Cause this picture is the first time I have ever even heard of a new cabie. Is this by chance photoshopped?
Old 05-29-2004, 07:38 PM   #5

2005 boxster

the following is from Autoweek (this week) -- check it out at

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews &loc_code=index&content_code=05753133

(May 29, 2004)
Into the Sunshine: 2005 Porsche Boxster revealed in roadster guises

Here's how Porsche's second-generation Boxster will look when it heads into showrooms across North America less than a year from now.

PORSCHE’S POPULAR MID-ENGINE entry-level roadster is extensively reworked for 2005 with many changes that promise to make this second-generation model as memorable as the original when it was launched in 1996.

Codenamed 987, the 2005 Boxster will be built in both roadster and coupe guises in a move to boost Porsche sales beyond the record levels of the 2002 model. The roadster appears first, at the Detroit auto show next January; the coupe’s premiere comes at Frankfurt in September 2005.

Mirroring changes to the next 911 due in September, the Boxster’s exterior is subtly redesigned with oval headlights, separate turn indicators and new angular taillights. Bodywork is more muscular and 911 Turbo-style ducts are adopted up front to feed the front-mounted radiator. The engine is cooled by enlarged air ducts extending farther down the side of the body than on today’s model and dissected by four louvers to channel the air backward in a more efficient manner.

Other exterior changes include the door-handle pulls (vs. the current flap style) and a slightly wider rear spoiler to increase downforce at speeds above 75 mph.

Power for the revamped Boxster comes from two lightly reworked horizontally opposed engines—the existing 2.7-liter and 3.2-liter units each gaining around 10 hp and a considerable boost in low-end torque. An optional six-speed Tiptronic with steering wheel-mounted shift buttons will join a carryover six-speed manual. The double-clutch unit coming on the new 911 should be offered later on the Boxster, according to Porsche insiders.

The new Boxster rides on similar underpinnings to today’s eight-year-old model, but its MacPherson strut suspension hardware uses lighter components and a wider track for greater responsiveness and grip. The car also gets lightweight 18-inch alloy wheels—as seen on this prototype—to reduce unsprung weight.
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 09:51 AM   #6

I agree that the Boxster is much better looking than the 911 cabriolet. I just wish that the upgrades are in the mechanical end. I read in another forum that it is rumored that the engine is going to be pumped up to 300 hp because of all the new competition with engines, I dread the thought of a Cadillac CVS with 345 hp and another coming out with 400 hp dusting off a Porshe. Ouch! that hurts.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:45 AM   #7

Doesn't the 320 hp caddie two seater currently cost 75K base? The caddie buyer and the boxster buyer are two different kinds of people looking for different things in their car. If I was porsche, I wouldn't be too worried about cadillac taking away a whole lot of buisness away from the boxster.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:50 AM   #8

Heaven forbid even cosidering a Caddie vs a Porsche. It is encouraging to see GM trying to right the sinking ship going after performance oriented people. I just watched a race from Tremblantt on Speedvision yesterday that the Caddy racer won. Beat S-4's, NSX's,Lexus's, Z's, BMW's, 911's. I have to research further how the classes are split up because there were lots of totally different cars in participating in the race.
No I would never consider buying a Cadillac over a Porsche. I believe their strategy is to take sales away from the BMW series 3, Audi A-4 and those cars. That their car is fast that is ipso facto.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:18 PM   #9
Regional Moderator

You know what? I've been staring at this picture for a week now, and I am really impressed. Porsche really got it right.

The 997 looks classic 911. Beautiful and simple. Next to it the 987 Boxster looks much newer and more modern.

I think they nailed it. They've got the 911 "DNA" for those who appreciate that, but at the same time the Boxster presents a newer face. As strange as it seems to move the 911 "backwards" it now makes more sense in context of the 2 models.

And, it clears the way for a Boxster coupe with no questions about it vs. the C2.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:56 AM   #10
Forum Contributor

Actually I think the picture is photoshopped and not
an official release picture like it sorta looks like.
Notice how the driver side side mirror is higher then
the passenger side for the Boxster and the driver
side headlight is more round where as the passenger
side headlight is a bit more oval. Also notice that for
both cars, the light assembly above the front bumper
intakes are all slightly off from each other.

I'm sure the interpretation is close to what it might
look like as the final production model, but I'd still
wait until official pics are released to pass judgement.

=D Just my thoughts on looking at the picture. I could
be wrong anyway.
Lartymarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:03 AM   #11

It could just be the lighting. You would think that if someone took that much time to photoshop this that they would have caught those things....at least I would think so anyway.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:44 AM   #12
Forum Contributor

It's a bad photoshop job then.

In addition, if it's an official picture, where are the
other pics that show the side and rear shots?
Why isn't this picture (or the series of it) all over
the internet like the 997? I don't think lighting warps
the headlights and side mirrors.
Lartymarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:12 PM   #13

New thread for all the information about the 987. Pricing is going to be according to one of the articles less than a comparable equipped 986. From 4 to 9% less expensive with more items as standard equipment rather than options.
Take a look plenty of nice pictures on the shortcut plus car magazine road tests of the new model.
http://www.porscheboxster.info/