Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 05:21 AM   #1

Rattly power steering pump.

I have a rattle coming from the front of the engine, I traced it down to the power steering pump. I know there are a couple of gears in there and have a small but of clearance but if this is with spec will I get the rattle still or do I have to replace the pump.
Watch the video of what I mean and there is oil to the correct level in there too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNDWMOHGGiI

Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #2

The pump should not be making noise, and needs to be replaced.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the confirmation JFP. Just seen someone elses video exactly the same as mine
Old 04-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

I have an engine compartment rattle that I'm trying to diagnose, and this gives me another idea to check as being the possible culprit - thanks.

If you tear inside that pump and figure out what is loose or wrong, please let us know what you find!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

Will do bud.
Just ordered a pump from a breaker that I know that is good so hope the pump is too. He's never let me down yet so once it's fitted I'll tear the old one down.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Garage
That is pretty much how mine sounded right before it died the first time.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
If you tear inside that pump and figure out what is loose or wrong, please let us know what you find!
Well the one I got from the breakers was excatly the same so being me I took it apart to look and see what was up as it only cost me 25 quid....

Old 04-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #8

So as for what the clatter is, it's just the spline drive has a little play in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA7s30Zwbo8

Sorry for the muffled comentary, but that is all what is wrong with this one so I'm assuming thats the same as what is wrong with mine. I've reassembled this one now and put thread lock on the spline so as to take up the play and possibly swap it at a later date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ekAh1kwIg

I can only assume that either the vanes or the outer ring are magnetic so keep the vanes out.

I hope that helps any of you guys out there.