Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Cant open front trunk

Hi Guys,
I have a Boxster 2003, hibernating in the garage over winter. I disconnected the battery and some helpful person closed the front trunk. It seems that when the battery is disconnected the normal ways in with the battery maintainer in the cigarette lighter, charger on the pull out tab in the fuse-box don't work.

Anyone know any other ways in? does the 2003 model have a wire like the earlier models or maybe an easier way?

Thanks in advance.

Nimbus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
Hi Guys,
I have a Boxster 2003, hibernating in the garage over winter. I disconnected the battery and some helpful person closed the front trunk. It seems that when the battery is disconnected the normal ways in with the battery maintainer in the cigarette lighter, charger on the pull out tab in the fuse-box don't work.

Anyone know any other ways in? does the 2003 model have a wire like the earlier models or maybe an easier way?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Nim
I just took a photo of were the pull wire is on mine. Boxter S 2002.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #3

Thanks but that's the release for the fuel filler.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Garage
Some people say the wire is under the left front wheel well, some people say its under the right (I know on my 2000 S it was under the right (passenger side) and i moved it behind the tow hook area for easier access (like a lot of people do). It should be there on your 2003....

Last edited by Heiko; 11-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

Garage
I was under the impression that the battery maintainer or cigarette lighter trick would work... ??

Is the car on jack stands? If the emergency release wire/cable hasn't been moved, you may be able to get to it from the passenger side wheel well.

Perhaps this thread will help. See p2.

Another argument for relocating the emergency frunk cable to the tow hook port.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #6

Thanks guys,
I plugged in my battery maintainer but it didn't work like it does when the batteries connected, same with the contact in the fusebox. I will have a look for the wire on the weekend. Do you have to remove the wheel arch liner? I assume it's at the front part of the liner?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #7

Garage
It's actually up near the headlight. I accessed mine via the frunk and by removing the passenger side headlight, so I'm afraid I don't have experience getting at it via the wheel well. But you definitely have to remove the liner. Perhaps someone else can offer additional help...
Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #8

passenger side wheel well

remove 3 or 4 plastic anchors turn wheal to the left feel around as far as you can reach up near the frunk wall , that is where you will feel a metal braided cable with a loop pull firmly frunk will open. Trust me it is simple , my 11 year old and i did this the second night we owned the car. GOOD LUCK 02 S 107,238 miles
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #9

As with nicecar, mine (2001 S) was inside of the passenger side front wheel well. Here's a pic where I've gotten the wheel off and popped the fasteners holding the plastic wheel well liner (some of them anyway, those towards the front). The black curved thing in the lower left portion of the pic is the liner pushed down and out of the way. The big black cylindrical thing above the screwdriver is the back end of the headlight housing.

The cable is connected to that D-ring, that you can see just above the screwdriver. THAT'S what you pull. Good luck...hopefully you've already gotten in.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
remove 3 or 4 plastic anchors turn wheal to the left feel around as far as you can reach up near the frunk wall , that is where you will feel a metal braided cable with a loop pull firmly frunk will open. Trust me it is simple , my 11 year old and i did this the second night we owned the car. GOOD LUCK 02 S 107,238 miles

I wish you had sent your 11 year old over to me! I'm not sure if your liners the same as mine but it attaches to the front bumper so is pretty big, realistically you need to remove the wheel and the the liner on a 2003 - except I couldn't as the jack was in the front trunk.

In the end I discovered my charger was the problem, it is one of these smart ones that wont put out any power if it doesn't detects some voltage. I used a 12v battery connected to the tab in the fuse box and the door striker and then the trunk opened upon pressing the switch. A battery maintainer plugged into the cigarette lighter will not open the trunk if the negative lead is disconnected.

Hope this may be of help to others.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #11

reroute emergency frunk cable

when you get time, many videos showing this. as far as the wheel- well I never completly removed the liner, just took out 3 of the plastic clips and made enough room to get an arm in. However to completly remove you must take the wheel off. I should have been more clear. As with all boxster projects it's after completion is when I think how easy it is!
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
I wish you had sent your 11 year old over to me! I'm not sure if your liners the same as mine but it attaches to the front bumper so is pretty big, realistically you need to remove the wheel and the the liner on a 2003 - except I couldn't as the jack was in the front trunk.

In the end I discovered my charger was the problem, it is one of these smart ones that wont put out any power if it doesn't detects some voltage. I used a 12v battery connected to the tab in the fuse box and the door striker and then the trunk opened upon pressing the switch. A battery maintainer plugged into the cigarette lighter will not open the trunk if the negative lead is disconnected.

Hope this may be of help to others.
I had similar experience. in my case, a DEAD battery.
I have a battery tender by YUASA. but it will not "connect" if the battery voltage is less than 9V as well as when the voltage exceeds some 14+ Volts. it is expecting a battery to be in the circuit.
the cigarette charger connection is home grown using an old cell phone adapter.
I managed to put a 12V DC wall plug module and attached the leads in parallel with the battery tender till the car battery voltage came up to about 10V. at this time, the battery tender turned on and started "charging" the battery.

I have a fear that the auto electronics is expecting a very stable voltage off the battery. and by attaching battery charger or battery tender to a car with the battery removed, the electronics may become damaged due to fluctuating or over/under voltage. my fear
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
All Boxster's arm rest storage compartments need one of these:

Amazon.com: Plug-2-Go:Car-To-Car Charging System: Automotive
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #14

The liner on mine extends right up to the front bumper, it was impossible to get my hand around the back of the liner after removing the 4 clips. Maybe if I had worked from the back of the liner and gone forwards I might have got my hand in. Does sound like the liner on 2003 models is longer.

Anyway, my top tip is dont disconnect the battery. If you do then lock the garage and hide the keys to prevent family members 'helping'. Keep an old battery nearby as battery maintainers/chargers are no use when you disconnect the negative lead when a 'helping' family member manages to break in.

Just need to replace the broken fuel filler lock thanks to the first guy that replied.