Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
2000 Boxster S

Exclamation 986 S problem at idle, engine won't rev and shakes, battery disconnected

Hi guys,

I’m writing from Italy, owner of a 2000 986 S, 84.000 km on the clock.

First of all, I have to apologize for my poor English.

Recently I had my cluster bulbs replaced thanks to the good DIY guides found over here, so, thank you so much for helping us all with your knowledge and patience.

In order to do the job, since my car features the optional alarm, I previously disconnected the negative cable of the battery while leaving the ignition key on position 2 as read on the board in order to avoid the siren to scream (is this correct, BTW?).

With the cluster back in place, without touching the key nor the gas pedal, I connected the negative cable and found everything was fine, then I waited for a few minutes with the key still in position 2 thus letting the e-pedal to reset itself, and eventually removed the key and left the place.

Two days later I picked the car up but the engine was really strange at idle. No fault lights on the cluster but no power at all, it hardly reached 1600 – 1900 RPM with the aircon switched off even if I floored the pedal.

The whole car shaked violently but the engine didn’t stall. If I pushed on the gas pedal, it revved a little making a smoother noise and behaving normal, but just up to 1600 – 1900 RPM. It seemed there was something at work avoiding the engine to rev.

Tried several times to do the 1-minute procedure, tried to fire it up and swich it off a million times, then called the local PD but received nothing but a “shame on you for having disconnected the battery”.

Called an indi whose suggestion was to blindly replace the MAF (...even though the problem was showing itself at idling and not over 4000 RPM).

Eventually phoned another indi; this nice chap came, attached a small diagnostic device to my car and told me there were no error codes displayed. After half an hour the engine got warm and everything was perfectly normal, so he invited me to drive the car for some thirty minutes and so I did.

Problem is, though, yesterday the issue came back again and didn’t go away even after a million 1-minute procedures, dozens of key-on-0-to-key-on-2.

I haven’t got access to a Durametric.

When I set the key on position 2 I hear a very low “buzz” which goes on forever, until I fire the engine.

I’ve got a GPS from my Insurance Company on the positive pole which I cannot remove.

What do you suggest? I’m really struggling… Shall I disconnect the negative cable and leave it aside for a few days, as read over here? What must I do when disconnecting the battery in order to avoid the alarm to wake everybody up?

Thank you in advance for your help, I really need it!

Cheers,

G.

P.S. If you reckon it would help, I can record the engine noise and attach a file...

Gorthaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 AM   #2

Garage
Man that could be a whack of different things.... I'm thinking MAF, Vacuum leak or possibly a bad ignition coil. Disconnecting the battery doesn't normally hurt anything at all and if the PD said "shame on you for having disconnected the battery" he was probably just being a smart ass lol. The throttle body calibration should be done after the battery was disconnected but the car should run fine without doing it and even if you don't do it, after driving a while it will calibrate itself (just takes longer).
I would pull the connectors to each coil one at a time to see what happens. If you pull one and it doesn't have any effect then you either have a bad coil or a bad plug.
I've seen these things fail and cause issues and not set any CEL. Bizarre but it is what it is... It probably had nothing to do with your bulb change, it was most likely just a coincidence.
A failed coil will usually cause shaking to what you described....
I hope you find the gremlin - good luck.
Heiko

Last edited by Heiko; 11-13-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

At that mileage I would replace the plugs if I was going all the way in to check each coil pack, they are fairly inexpensive and it eliminates one more point of failure. If you have access to a code reader plug it in and post the codes, that might help zero in on it too. Port is under dash driver's side near the fuse panel. Just out of curiosity why the insurance company gps? Do they track your speed in Italy or something to validate whether they want to insure you?
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
2000 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Man that could be a whack of different things.... I'm thinking MAF, Vacuum leak or possibly a bad ignition coil.

CUT

I hope you find the gremlin - good luck.
Heiko
Thank you Heiko, the biggest problem is the car is at -1 level and the power output is not enough to take her out, not to mention I wouldn't be able to reach the indy without getting killed in the process by other cars, it's a 20 km trip...

I'm getting really disappointed...

Last edited by Gorthaur; 11-13-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
2000 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
At that mileage I would replace the plugs if I was going all the way in to check each coil pack, they are fairly inexpensive and it eliminates one more point of failure. If you have access to a code reader plug it in and post the codes, that might help zero in on it too. Port is under dash driver's side near the fuse panel. Just out of curiosity why the insurance company gps? Do they track your speed in Italy or something to validate whether they want to insure you?
Hi and thanks for your reply!

The sparkplugs were replaced @60.000 km in April 2007.

Last time the guy attached the reader he didn't find any errors.

Thanks to the GPS I can save a lot of money on insurance; since my 986 S isn't a DD (less than 4000km/yr) the GPS allows me to pay just for the kilometers yearly covered. The drawback is they track your trips and your max speed.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #6

Garage
You dont need to take it out, just start and let it idle then start disconnecting one pack at a time (if you unplug one and notice it changes the way the car idles, plug it back in and move on to the next one) You dont have to pull the coil packs themselves out to see if they are working... Just unplug the connector that feeds the coil thats it, you can do that without any tools; If you unplug one and there is no noticable effect at all, chances are either plug/coil is bad.
Just because the plugs are new doesnt mean they are good... I've seen brand new plugs come out of a package that are bad.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
Ex Esso kid

Seems curious that it documents no codes, it couldn't hurt to toss some Techron injector cleaner and some dry gas too, again cheap elimination of another factor. A careful clean of the MAF couldn't hurt either but you will need anti tamper torx to properly remove it. Don't be frustrated, the problem will reveal itself. I think a bad oxygen sensor could make it run rough as well.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
2000 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
You dont need to take it out, just start and let it idle then start disconnecting one pack at a time (if you unplug one and notice it changes the way the car idles, plug it back in and move on to the next one) You dont have to pull the coil packs themselves out to see if they are working... Just unplug the connector that feeds the coil thats it, you can do that without any tools; If you unplug one and there is no noticable effect at all, chances are either plug/coil is bad.
Just because the plugs are new doesnt mean they are good... I've seen brand new plugs come out of a package that are bad.
Thank you Heiko. Is there any DIY guide on ho to do what you've just described? Maybe here on the board... I'm going to check it out right now.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Get it up on stands with the rear wheels off. Check for "openings, like a little door" in the inner fender well that facilitate access to the coils and plugs, if they aren't there simply go in from underneath. Each set of three plugs on each bank has it's own discreet coil. What Heiko is saying is to locate the connector on each coil and one by one disconnect them. You are looking for the disconnection that makes no difference at all as each other time you disconnect a working coil you are creating a miss which should make the engine stumble more. Hope that helps.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
2000 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Get it up on stands with the rear wheels off. Check for "openings, like a little door" in the inner fender well that facilitate access to the coils and plugs, if they aren't there simply go in from underneath. Each set of three plugs on each bank has it's own discreet coil. What Heiko is saying is to locate the connector on each coil and one by one disconnect them. You are looking for the disconnection that makes no difference at all as each other time you disconnect a working coil you are creating a miss which should make the engine stumble more. Hope that helps.
Thanks again. Unfortunately I have no stands and there's not enough room to remove the wheels either. She sits in a small box inside an underground garage which is 70 cm wider then the car itself... I'm going tu bury her down there... Really pissed off!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #11

Garage
Exactly Ghostrider - or do one side at a time by removing one rear wheel at a time (that gets you easy access to each sides coils... you will just have to pull the little rubber boot back on each coil electrical connector then squeese the ends and pull the connector out.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #12

Garage
Sorry Dude without doing a couple of the basic first troubleshooting suggestions, the only thing i got left to recommend is to get a bunch of friends to help you push her out of the garage and get it towed to a shop :-( It shouldn't be anything serious, but you have to get it checked out.

Last edited by Heiko; 11-13-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #13
Ex Esso kid

I love my Boxster more than any other car I've ever owned but if you can't lay under one and have no rack you simply have to have access to an affordable mechanic and some reserve $ for repairs. If it's any consolation, it doesn't sound like something deeply serious.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-13-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #14
2000 Boxster S

Hey guys don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your help and I'll certainly push her out and try to follow your suggestions. I just made the long story short but now it's worth telling you I haven't taken the car to the PD because of their behaviour in this circumstance as well as in others. Their first suggestion was to come to my garage and install a new MAF without even running a diagnosis for more then 1000 €... And two weeks earlier they wanted to charge me with a 1000+ € bill for a cluster replacement while it was just a poor 7 € bulb...

Last edited by Gorthaur; 11-13-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Maybe another BB member is near you, changing a MAF is really easy from the top of the car in service mode with simple tools and patience.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
2000 Boxster S

It's hard for me to believe it's the MAF. The problem shows itself at idle, not over 4000 RPM.

After that last lucky start I drove it for more than 30 minutes and she was really perfect, just like she had always been in the past years. She seems to lay in some sort of "recovery state" I just have to wake her up from. Ok it can be the plugs but... in five years not a problem. Then I disconnect the battery and the problem shows itself on the first start. Then suddenly, after a dozen times of switch the engine off - fire it on, she is just perfect... but the day after she's strange again. Strange coincidence, huh!?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #17
Ex Esso kid

From that description it does sound like the MAF, I'm not inclined to think an intermittent problem would be a plug or coil, I would expect that to be more chronic, no thirty minutes of bliss. As I said, the part isn't crazy expensive, Johnny Danger has a source for good deals on MAF units. If someone lives near you that has the right tools they could hook you right up, you could even do it yourself outside if space permits. Whatever the disconnect with the repair center was aside, they see a lot of cars they seem to think a MAF would help and a new one certainly won't kill the wallet if it's not the MAF. IMO, a MAF not performing could effect the car at any RPM.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-13-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #18

Garage
Yup MAF is worth changing and as Ghostrider said its pretty easy...
You will definitely notice a coil in idle but the motor usually gets very rough and jerky if a coil begins to misfire at higher RPM's...
The MAF shouldnt cost more than 200-250 Euro's... Here's a DIY article from Pelican

Pelican Technical Article: Troubleshooting and Replacing the Boxster Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) - 986 / 987

I sure hope this helps... and i will see if i can find an article on the Coils as well
Heiko
Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #19

Garage
Ok in regards to the coil connectors - in the little pictures down the bottom left side 'figure 1' the green arrow shows the connector i was talking about pulling...
Heiko

Pelican Technical Article: Replacing Boxster Spark Plugs and Coils - 986 / 987

Last edited by Heiko; 11-13-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #20
2000 Boxster S

Well, guys... great! Thanks a lot! I'm really going to read those guides this evening (and in the meanwhile I've ordered Wayne Dempsy's 101 projects book from Amazon).

Brief update: just got back from the car, I went to the garage just to try and disconnect again the battery for a day or two. Key inserted, turned it and... nothing, no cluster light, nothing at all. Tried a few more times, then eventually everything was fine. Please note the battery is always under a smart charger so I really doubt it was not full (it's almost new, by the way). Taken it away then inserted again, nothing. Left the key inserted and operated the headlamps and BANG! Cluster lights on. Never had I notice before that the key, while inserted and put in position 2, has a huge play (even though it doesn't fall off at all).

Any clues? Does this evidence point towards any different direction?