Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #1

Rear Trunk Issue

Hello all,

TLR (rear trunk cant open with either the release switch or back up cable)

Here is a problem for you. I have a 03 Boxster S. The rear trunk latch has either stopped working or is jammed by a jacket. I can hear the servo motor moving when I press the trunk release button, and there was no indication of the latch wearing out before so I am sure that it is jammed with a jacket.

I got at the mechanical release cable in behind the rear bumper but when I pulled to release it the entire cable came out, apparently it had broke at some point before.

So now I have a locked or jammed trunk not being able to open with the electrical release or the mechanical release. I took her over to a Porsche mechanic, solid guy all on the up and up, and he was stumped. All we could come up with was to either try to pry a gap between the lid and the seal and try to get a tool into the lock mechanism and depress the release or (not my idea) drill into the trunk through the wall and into the latch mechanism to do the same.

I really want to avoid drilling my car, so any hot ideas or has anyone had to deal with this in the past?

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #2

There's a manual release cable for the rear trunk? I knew there was one for the front but I didn't know the rear had one also.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #3

I had a jacket stuck in my latch. I pried my fingers under the trunk lid and pulled up while my friend kept hitting the electric button. After 3-4 times, I was able to get it open.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I can't give much help, but I would suppose deploying the spoiler may give enough extra room for finger wiggling.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Garage
Any way in with the rear bumper removed??

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

Did you consider calling AAA or a locksmith? Seems like it might be the type of thing they could help with.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #7

With the bumper off there is still no way to get access to the lock/latch mechanism that would release the lid. I did work with a mechanic to try and pry the lid open as we pressed the electric release button, but that did not work.

I hadn't considered calling a locksmith, but thats a solid idea and I cant believe I didnt think of it. I am a little concerned that if there is really no access to the lock assembly that they might not be any help.

The spoiler does need to come off to get good leverage on the lid though, good call.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #8

I did try prying the lid up as the electrical release was depressed, but it does not even budge. When you had the jacket stuck in the latch did the lid basically not move at all as if it were locked?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #9

it was able to move up just a smidge...where I could get my tip of my finger on the corner of the trunk and work my way to the middle.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #10

Update:

Ok so I was able to get into the trunk, weeks later.

Everywhere I went, locksmiths body shops etc.. all told me that the easiest was to resolve the problem was to cut into the trunk lid, remove the lid, replace the lid and paint all in about 3,000.

So that wasn't really a great option. I tried something a little less obtuse.

I was able to get a few pry tools into the space between the lid and the body. There I was able to see the two bolts that secure the catch locking place on the lid. There I was able to get a very thin wrench into the space and onto the bolt heads. (10mm) 1/8 of turn at a time and with very little space I was able to finally remove both of the bolts. Once both were removed the lid was no longer locked into place and came right up.

Turns out there was no stuck or wedged jacked. ALL the cables to the lock mechanism had broken. No idea how that happened all at once, although I suppose the emergency cable could have broken some time ago and I just didn't notice.

So in short, Wedged up lid, got tool into space, slowly removed bolts, problem solved.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #11

What a pain! Glad it's resolved though.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #12

fo future reference for others, I had the same problem on a 2002 S. If you remove the rear bumper skin, very easy, there is a vent on the drivers side, just below the tail light. I was able to slide may arm all the way in to get to the release
lilredpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #13

I had the same issue with my 01 S. I jacked up the car removed the rear driver side wheel, removed 1 nut and was able to gently pull back the plastic cover in the wheel well. I could see the trunk release and get the rear trunk open. Ok that's half of it. I hear the motor servo working but the trunk still won't release without pulling the manual release cable. Anybody know what to do next? The release cable with the loop was just sort of laying there. Is it supposed to be attached to something or do I need to replace something else to get the electronic trunk lid opener working?
MaizeNBlueBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #14

lilredpo: Your solution sounds like a fantastic idea for my 2000 base Boxster, where the trunk lid is shut and both cables are disconnected from the latch release mechanism. Sure hope my model has the same vent opening as yours. As you were at one time, I'm sure, I'm at wit's end trying to solve this problem. Any other little tips or hints before I attempt your fix? Does one need especially thin or long arms to reach the latch release mechanism?
tigrhwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:56 AM   #15

Thumbs up 01 Boxster Trunk cable, with link and pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaizeNBlueBoxster View Post
I had the same issue with my 01 S. I jacked up the car removed the rear driver side wheel, removed 1 nut and was able to gently pull back the plastic cover in the wheel well. I could see the trunk release and get the rear trunk open. Ok that's half of it. I hear the motor servo working but the trunk still won't release without pulling the manual release cable. Anybody know what to do next? The release cable with the loop was just sort of laying there. Is it supposed to be attached to something or do I need to replace something else to get the electronic trunk lid opener working?
Thanks to your tip, I got the trunk open. My cable is broken, so I have to replace it. It will be here from Pelicans in less than a week.

My question is similar to yours. - where is the “receiver thingie” that gets the signal from the key fob?
Also, I found videos for replacing the cable. I’ll post a link here with the best one(s).
Sorry the pictures are so big.
This thread hasn’t seen any action in about 11 years, so maybe nobody has this problem any

https://youtu.be/eyJGz8RD6Hw
Attached Images

Last edited by MichaelHardie13; 02-17-2023 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Reduce photos, Add link
MichaelHardie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 04:09 AM   #16
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHardie13 View Post
Thanks to your tip, I got the trunk open. My cable is broken, so I have to replace it. It will be here from Pelicans in less than a week.

My question is similar to yours. - where is the “receiver thingie” that gets the signal from the key fob?
Also, I found videos for replacing the cable. I’ll post a link here with the best one(s).
Sorry the pictures are so big.
This thread hasn’t seen any action in about 11 years, so maybe nobody has this problem any

https://youtu.be/eyJGz8RD6Hw
It's too ****************ing early and, yes, those pics are too ****************ing large.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:43 PM   #17

relocate cable

While you are in there maybe relocate cable to behind the bumperette then all you need to access the cable is one bolt to get to the cable. Many years ago my cables broke and thru searching this forum I learned about relocating BOTH frunk and trunk cables. Frunk cable relocates to behind tow hook.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:48 PM   #18

BTW I just replaced the cable end not the entire cable. I think I took and electrical connector with a hole on one and crimped it on the cable just as if it was a heavy gauge wire, that was 10 years ago? still holding, but now I probably jinxed it!

nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot , cable , rear , release , trunk