Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #1

Garage
Throttle Body Cleaning

Going to inspect and clean the throttle body on the Boxster today.

I read the Tech Bulletin and it seems pretty straight forward.

Does anyone have any Tips or Tricks that I should consider. This will be the first time for me.

Thanks All

Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #2

Please keep us informed as this is due for me also. ????
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #3

Garage
Hey Max, Im doing it as preventive maintenance AND because Im not sure it has ever been done.

Ill let you know how it goes.
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
Old 12-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #4

Here are the DIY ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John99Boxster View Post
Going to inspect and clean the throttle body on the Boxster today.

I read the Tech Bulletin and it seems pretty straight forward.

Does anyone have any Tips or Tricks that I should consider. This will be the first time for me.

Thanks All
... Instructions
Clean the Throttle Body

Happy Boxstering
Pedro
Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #5

Hi 99 boxter ! How did you make out ? I hope you are ok with the cleaning. MAX
Old 12-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I did mine at around 55k miles (I have a 2000 'S'). For some reason my intake tube made me work to get it off the throttle body. Other then that it's was pretty easy, just make sure to hook everything back up correctly.

Mine was totally clean, really didn't need it but it was a fun project like all the rest.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #7

Garage
Lesson Learned.....

Use Pedro's Instructions.....NOT Pelican Instructions......No offense, I love Pelican Parts.

Pedros write up is much more detailed for the beginner.

Thanks Pedro!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #8

John99, So what did you find ? And why did you go there ? Max
Old 12-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #9

Garage
Throttle Body was actually pretty clean but the surrounding tubes/inlet hoses were filthy. You would normally do this if you had a rough or fluctuating idle. I just did it as preventive maintenance.....part of my 60K maintenance plan, which by the way is taking me months to complete. Slowly but surely....!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #10

I had a rough idle so I cleaned the throttle body last month at 83,000 miles.

It was dirty. There was a thick black layer in the throttle body that was tough to remove with alcohol. I eventually got it all off and cleaned the inside of the intake tubes as well even though they seemed to be clean.

Idle Problem Gone. It literally took me less than 20 minutes to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together. It is an easy DIY.
ProjectM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #11

Garage
Havent really driven much since I did the cleaning until today. The car is much more responsive on the throttle....feels clean and powerful.

I love seeing the results of simple DIY maintenance!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
I will agree with the comment on Pedro's write up being a lot better! The one thing I found when doing mine was it was far easier to remove the throttle body intact and to remove the two rubber boots bringing the unit out complete and then install in the same manor. Doing this kept me from fighting with that lower right bolt.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #13

i just tried cleaning and removing, but i just couldn't get the intake off. i pushed and shoved and then thought to myself, if i try any harder, i may damage it. or if i manage to get it off, i won't be able to put it back on. how are people getting around this?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #14

Tuan, I cleaned my TB today as well. It's easier if you unscrew both clamps of the tube and remove it from engine compartment. First time for me. Replaced MAF sensor with OEM ($75 from AIP Electronics) as well and now my car idles and accelerates more smoothly. Cel off now and I am a happy camper after a drive through the Texas countryside. My only wish is that I could get 45 MPG like my VW Jetta TDI.
1080Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #15

1080Z, post a link to that MAF you bought. $75 sounds like a steal.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #16

maf meter 2001 porsche boxster | eBay

or go to ebay and type "maf meter 2001 porsche boxster" in the search field. Scroll down to AIP. The list price is $89, but my offer of $75 was accepted. I received my meter in a few days. My Boxster passed state vehicle inspection last Monday.
1080Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #17

For those of you with 2000+ cars, you should know that after cleaning the TB, you have one additional step before firing up the car.

Since 2000+ cars come equipped with E-Gas, you must reset your throttle before starting your car.

To do this follow these steps:
1. Turn ignition 2 clicks to ON so that the gauges light up like a christmas tree and leave it there for 1 minute. (Do not turn the car on OR touch the throttle). You will hear it calibrating.
2. Turn off the ignition for 10 seconds.
3. Fire her up.

I spent HOURS trying to figure out why my car was idling above 2000rpms after cleaning the TB to find out that I had to do this last step before the job was complete.

Pedro, you should update your website to include this information, had I known ahead of time, it would have been a one hour job, instead I spent five hours hunting down nonexistent vacuum leaks.
Rustang Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #18

Garage
I did my throttle body and intake tubes, removed all and cleaned then reassembled. There was no need to do anything like that for my e-throttle. I cleaned the MAF and my K&N filter as well. My only issue was my own stupidity of reconnecting the AOS hose to the throttle body with arch facing back. Created Vacume leak. Needs to arch to the front to seat tightly (in my case)
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #19

I don't believe you need to have the DME relearn the throttle unless you unplug the battery.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #20

If you have a non eGas car and want to clean the idle control valve as well PM me your address, I mistakenly bought a ICV gasket for my eGas car and the dealer won't take it back.

Other than that, clean it up well, and don't forget to wipe out the intake tubes. It took me 20 minutes, made the throttle response much better, and fixed my bumpy idle. Well worth it!

HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote