Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #1

Spare key blank

I'd like to get a spare key to hide on the car. Don't want one with a remote as the electronics would be destroyed and besides they are too expensive. Just a cut blank should do it. I usually wrap blanks in velcro to stick them under my cars. Any ideas where to get blanks cheap? Probably need to have blank cut at a dealer, but any other thoughts?

Bob

Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I had a locksmith make me a key like that. It cost $40 (They had to use some sort of laser cutter) and I use it at the beach, so I can take it with me in the water.
But here is the catch, since it lacks the electronics you can only use it to open/close the doors and center console, if you try to start the car with it you will activate the Boxster immobilizer, which can only be deactivated by having the car towed to the dealer.
I wouldn't leave it under the car all the time, but for times when your electronic key is not practical it is nice to have.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I had a locksmith make me a key like that. It cost $40 (They had to use some sort of laser cutter) and I use it at the beach, so I can take it with me in the water.
But here is the catch, since it lacks the electronics you can only use it to open/close the doors and center console, if you try to start the car with it you will activate the Boxster immobilizer, which can only be deactivated by having the car towed to the dealer.
I wouldn't leave it under the car all the time, but for times when your electronic key is not practical it is nice to have.
I was afraid of that. So, it's only useful when you wish to lock your keys in the car such as at the beach, in your case. If you lost your key, the spare will only give you a dry place to sit.....unless the top is already down....LOL. There must be a chip in the electronic key to tell the car that a proper key is in the ignotion.

How about this.....if you locked your spare electronic key in the trunk, would you be able to access the trunk to get it, onlce in the car?

Bob
Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I suppose you could do that, but you could just as easily reroute the front trunk emergency latch cable and leave the key there.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #5

Wanting to save a few bucks on the key head, I contacted Jeff at Sunset. Here's his response. Everything you wanted to now about Porsche keys and more...

"Here's the program on ordering a metal key by VIN# from Porsche

We order keys from Porsche using the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number from
your car. It runs about 98.00 for this to be done. We need proof of ownership faxed to us with your drivers license and insurance or registration clearly showing the VIN number to the car and your name on these documents. Porsche cuts the key and sends it to us, usually takes 3-5 working days to get to us. I can cut a copy off of the Porsche made key (assuming that the key is correct for your cars VIN number, if not then I'd be making a copy of a worthless key) that Porsche sends us if you want to get more keys at this time. Or I can sell you a metal blank uncut which you get cut locally once you make sure the VIN cut key fits your locks. The only problem with getting a VIN number cut key is if your car has ever been re-keyed for whatever reason without your knowledge. Porsche does not save information like this so I can't look up history on your car. This VIN cut key may not work in your locks and we can't refund any of your money. Keys must be prepaid for this reason. When we get the key from Porsche it is only the metal portion of the key, you may need the remote or a valet style non remote key head which snaps onto the metal portion in order to make a complete key. Either style key head will have to be programmed by your local dealer. Technicians have to plug a scan tool into your car and all of your keys must be with the technician so they can all be reprogrammed. Any keys left out could be erased, then that key will not start your car anymore since the system won't recognize that key. Factor in about an hour labor or shop time to program this new key head along with the price for the parts. Please remember there are no refunds on keys that Porsche or this dealership cuts for you."

I also asked about the "transponder." Here's his response:

"Here's the program on the remote key fob and getting it programmed:

The remote portion of the key is sold separately from the metal cut key part. The
metal cut key portion can be transferred to the new remote or a new blank metal key can be sold and cut by your dealer or a qualified locksmith and then snapped into place in the new remote. The bar code that is sold with the new remote is necessary for the technicians to use in order to program the remote to the cars anti-theft and central locking control system. If that bar code with the programming codes is lost then the new remote fob cannot be used as
intended. This is why buying one off of ebay is a waste of money. When bringing your car in to have one key programmed you should bring all the keys that you have. The other keys might lose their programming codes and get overwritten by the new key code. This includes the non remote keys, as they also have a transponder that has to be programmed. The transponders only function is to provide a signal to a transponder receiver that is on the steering column. If the car doesn't get the correct transponder signal from the key fob then the car won't start. On push button remotes they are programmed to lock and unlock the
doors as well as programming the transponder inside the remote key fob. Non remote key heads are also sold but they don't include or need the bar code tag that new remote key heads come with. You need to take your car to your local dealer to get the programming done. This can't be done over the phone or by VIN#. The car, remote, technician and special tool must all be together in order to get this done. The car will not start unless the remote is programmed to the vehicle. I don't have access to any of these codes. We charge about 120.00 dollars labor to program keys. Your dealer may be different."

P.S. I just bought the key head (transponder) at my local dealer even though it cost a bit more. I buy a lot of parts mail order to save money, but I think it's a good idea from time to time to spend at the dealer on something beyond $0.50 fasteners. I never know when I might need them to help me out of a jam.

Gary
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #6

Thank you, Gary..... IBut it sounds like too big (and $$$) of a task to get a spare key. I like Rick3000's logical (and cost free answer) to this situation. I'll just put my spare key in the front trunk and access it via the emergency cable if needed.
Thank you too, Rick3000.......

Bob
Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #7

I just don't lock the car door. I figure a locked door may cost me a new top one day. All they can steal is $1.00 in change.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
$1.00 in change and your car.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 AM   #9

And the car....
If they want the car, a silly little door lock is not going to stop a professional. And an amateur won't know how to bypass the "chip" in the key.
Yes, locking the door does activate the alarm system... but a new top is still expensive.

I don't leave anything in the car. If I'm going somewhere that I wouldn't feel safe taking the Boxster, I alway have the TL.