Thread: Spare key blank
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Bobiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I had a locksmith make me a key like that. It cost $40 (They had to use some sort of laser cutter) and I use it at the beach, so I can take it with me in the water.
But here is the catch, since it lacks the electronics you can only use it to open/close the doors and center console, if you try to start the car with it you will activate the Boxster immobilizer, which can only be deactivated by having the car towed to the dealer.
I wouldn't leave it under the car all the time, but for times when your electronic key is not practical it is nice to have.
I was afraid of that. So, it's only useful when you wish to lock your keys in the car such as at the beach, in your case. If you lost your key, the spare will only give you a dry place to sit.....unless the top is already down....LOL. There must be a chip in the electronic key to tell the car that a proper key is in the ignotion.

How about this.....if you locked your spare electronic key in the trunk, would you be able to access the trunk to get it, onlce in the car?

Bob