Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

View Poll Results: When can you do the drive?
10/15 3 50.00%
10/22 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2005, 06:02 AM   #1

Fall Drive??? Maine coastline???

OK - I've been really busy this Summer with no time to spend planning drives. Sorry.

I think we should attempt to keep our tradition of a annual Fall Foliage drive intact. While I love the drive that we do to Equinox the fast several years, the traffic has been just brutal through Bennington and Manchester. There were a couple of suggestions to change the route. I haven't really had time to consider many alternatives but there was a Southern Maine coastline Fall drive described in the latest "Porsche Experience" mailer that could be interesting. This is an area I'm not familiar with and would need some assistance in setting up the itinerary if there's interest.

This is supposed to be a very nice area in the Fall. We could plan a lunch stop at one of the seaside lobster joints and there's plenty of shopping stops (Freeport and possibly LL Beane). This loose outline of the drive in the Porsche mailer included went all the way up past Bath to Wiscasset and Penobscot Bay which might be a little ambitious. Boston to Wiscasset in 150 miles, which given our last Foliage drive would be a little shorter for some folks. Sorry NYC

I would need some help from anyone who's familiar with the Maine Coast on planning the actual route etc.

We can always fall back on the old standby Equinox trip but I'm ready for a change.

Peak for Souther Maine is usually 2nd week of October. I put the 2nd and 3rd Sat as poll options.

Hope we can generate enough interest!

-Rey

ReyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #2

Thumbs up Im interested

The fat lady has not sung yet! In any event my wife and I were planning a trip like the one you have mentioned. Lots of picture taking and the likes. Harbors do sound interesting. Would probably go to Ct via ferry in NOrth Fork. From there has to be coordinated.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:43 AM   #3

Just voted. 22nd is the only workable weekend for us. Rey, I have the list of email addresses from the last event if you'd like to try polling those folks too.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #4

Go for it (the mailing).

I voted for the 15th but would go either weekend. I'd like to see at least 5 cars show up to pull it off.

-Rey
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 AM   #5

Lightbulb Found some interesting options.

in the visit Maine website they have this link with loops already laid out. I am going to do it on the weekend of the 22 . If we don't meet together still the info is here for you to plan your trip. Good Driving to all!
http://visitmaine.com/seasonal/fall/touring.php

Last edited by Pilot2519j; 10-05-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #6

I just voted. I think I can make it on the 22nd, but things could turn last minute being a business owner. We drove to Camden/Rockland, ME about this time in 2003.
We took I-95 past Freeport, got off at Brunswick Route 1 to Bath( I think there is a famous lobster roll shack there on Rt.1), Rockport to Camden along the coastline to Belfast, then took 3 west to Augusta (foliage scenery @ 45-55mph) head down I-95 with a short stop at Freeport, and headed home. The down side is whole trip could take about 7-8 hours. We slept over in Rockland. Maybe we could go up to Bath and turn around and have lunch in Freeport and a little shopping break. It's only a suggestion.

Last edited by tomatjs; 10-07-2005 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling
tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:44 AM   #7

OK.

This Sat (10/15) is a no go. Weather is still iffy and with only 3 people interested it just seems like a try for next weekend would be better.

Hopefully a few more people will chime in.

-Rey
Old 10-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #8

Sorry folks, I just remembered (guess I am really getting old) that it's my birthday Saturday and my family has plans. It's really too bad I coudn't go for an outing with you guys. I rather be driving than blowing out those candles.
I hope for a really nice weather for all of you.
tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:16 PM   #9

OK, I've set up the mailing list. Rey, you should have received a copy of the welcome mail I sent out. If you're still interested in doing the trip this weekend, please feel free to use the list address to contact others. I have provided the list address to you in a private message here.

If anyone else wants on the list (if you didn't receive a mail ~9PM on 10/18/05, you're not on it already ), just PM me.

-DonV
Old 10-19-2005, 01:43 PM   #10

Argh! Car problems

Somethings up. Juliette just called me and from the sounds of it sounds like we got some clutch or transmission issues. Won't be able to investigate until the weekend. Car's still rolling but it limped home.

So we're out this w/e. Sounds like the weather may be iffy again.

-Rey
Old 10-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #11

Sorry to hear it! Here's hoping it is something more in the "I'll just give it a quick adjustment for you" line than the "oh boy, I'm gonna haveta pull that ___ and replace ___" line...