Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #1

Talking Jackin' the Box - How?

I want to lift both front wheels off the ground and put the car on 2 jackstands.

I keep seeing references in the forums to Gary Friedhoff's instructions, but the link isn't working any more. Anybody got it on their hard drive?

I'm not sure where to put the jack when I need to reserve the normal jackpoints for the stands.

Any help appreciated.

Norm

01 Boxster, Seal Grey

clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
c-c

pics for reference

Maybe these pictures will help

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Porsche/Radiator/Radiator.html
c-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
c-c

Modified Jack Stands Instructions

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/index.html
c-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:00 PM   #4

It's really easy to do if you have jack stands and a floor jack. I bought a race jack at Pep boys with a large rubber foot on it and I do not need that special jack insert that is sold for Pcars.

Basically, you position the floor jack at the back of the car at the jacking point (ahead of the rear wheel, just back from the wall of the car. You will see a hockey puck sized piece of steel with a oval shaped hole in it. That's the jacking point.

Jack up the car as high as your jack will take it and slide in the jack stand in the front at the jacking point.

Lower the floor jack slooooooowly and do the same thing on the other side and Bobs your uncle.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #5

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Randall, you're right, with the stiffness of the Boxster, jacking at the back high enough to get the stand under at the front is a no-brainer (I just realized)! (And vice versa)

But rather than a puck, I think I'll just use a small piece of 3/4" plywood (just because I'm a Canuck doesn't mean I've got hockey pucks laying around ).

And I'll have to check to see what the top of my jack stands look like to make sure I don't damage the car's lift point.

Cheers! Norm
Old 03-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
It's really easy to do if you have jack stands and a floor jack. I bought a race jack at Pep boys with a large rubber foot on it and I do not need that special jack insert that is sold for Pcars.

Basically, you position the floor jack at the back of the car at the jacking point (ahead of the rear wheel, just back from the wall of the car. You will see a hockey puck sized piece of steel with a oval shaped hole in it. That's the jacking point.

Jack up the car as high as your jack will take it and slide in the jack stand in the front at the jacking point.

Lower the floor jack slooooooowly and do the same thing on the other side and Bobs your uncle.
"Bobs your uncle" ?

What the heck does that mean ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
"Bobs your uncle" ?

What the heck does that mean ?

Nick

I think I heard Austin Powers say it once. I think it means "good to go" in English english.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:29 AM   #8

Yup, it's an english phrase one puts at the end of a sentence where the outcome is assured. For example:

She was pissed at me, so I bought her some candy and flowers and took them over to her at her place. She opened the door, saw me with them, gave me a kiss, and bob's your uncle, I'm out of trouble now.

It's the English equivalent of Kramer's "giddyup" I guess.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:34 AM   #9

Putting the boxster on jack stands always freaks me out. I really wish there was a central jacking point in the front for those times I want to only lift the front end.

I guess it is more the fact you can use the rear jacking point to lift an entire side of the car that throws me off. I essentially lift an entire side of my miata up that way when changing tires at an autox but I am only lifting it enough to get the tires on & off. Plus I do not like the idea of the car "rotating" on the jack stands as I raise the other side, the whole thing just seem precarious to me.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i knew that saying, but i laughed couse for some reason im like maybe he means that Bob The Builder is your uncle now that you know how to fix something.
hey dont laugh, it could work hehehe
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #11

Thanks for the clarification, guys !

I should have just asked my wife ( she is from England ).

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #12

I asked my dad if he could come up with some sort of round scrap metal to act as the 'pucks' to use with the jack stands. He said that if we came up with dimensions of what we needed he could cut a bunch of them out. I figure I could hand them out at the next boxster gathering or if they're light enough mail them out to people who wanted them.

Any ideas on what sort of 'puck' we would want him to make?

http://foo21.no-ip.info/boxster/boxster_sig_2.jpg
This isn't the Boxster you're looking for...
kelly1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #13

Pucks

You don't need anything fancy at all, i've found. I just put a little piece of scrap plywood on top of my $25 hydraulic jack and "Bob's your uncle"

Norm
Old 03-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #14

Ah, I see I've successfully integrated a colloquialism into a new culture. My work here is done!