986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/)
-   -   Requests for DIY Project Guide (http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/9271-requests-diy-project-guide.html)

mikey99n 01-31-2007 04:25 AM

How to replace oxygen sensor?

DIY project guide REQUEST: Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Hi everyone,

I have the dreaded O2 sensor failure in my 986 Boxster 99' and was wondering how I could replace these. I've done a search in the forums with no luck (lots of talk about how easy it is to replace and that they should be replaced tho!).

Can someone please let me know where I can access these and if there's any special tools I need?

Thanks,
Mike

2kBoxster 03-27-2007 08:14 PM

Did you get an answer back?

I am now faced with the problem of replacing my O2 sensors as well. I would love to DIY and save some $$$, but I have not found a step-by-step instruction for doing it.
Did you ever get a response and instructions? Please let me know. Thanks.

blinkwatt 03-27-2007 08:16 PM

Invest in the Bentley Manual for Boxsters via Amazon.com . It will show you have to replace them w/ a couple of pics. You can easy pay the dealership $400 for installation alone or buy the book for $67 shipped and dance around with the $333 you can spend on mods.

blinkwatt 03-27-2007 08:24 PM

I have no clue where I got this from ;)

-W/ the exhaust fully cold,raise the support car to access exhaust system.

-Remove rear wheel(I don't think this is necassary)

-Remove electrical connector from precatalyst oxygen sensor.

(You may want to use PB Blaster and let it do it's job for 10 minutes on the oxygen sensor-precat/postcat meet up point)

-Use an oxygen sensor socket or open ended wrench to loosen sensor and unscew by hand

-Remove eletrical connector from post-catalyst oxygen sensor

-Use an oxygen sensor socket or open ended wrench to loosen sensor and unscew by hand

Installation is reverse of removal,noting the following:
-o2 sensors come precoated w/ antisieze paste.
-DO NOT TOUCH THE SENSOR ITSELF!
-Torque to 37-44 ft lb

Good Luck! Hope this helps!

dcporsche99 03-27-2007 08:30 PM

Hey Guys,

See if this helps: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/9880-o2-sensors-questions.html#post85052

Good luck! :cheers:

lovely09 12-07-2009 04:58 AM

An additional consequence of any oxygen sensor failure may be damage to the catalytic converter.A rich operating condition causes the converter to run hotter than normal.If the converter gets hot enough,the catalyst substrate inside may actually melt forming a partial or complete blockage.The result can be a drastic drop in highway performance or stalling because of a buildup of backpressure in the exhaust system.If you're not sure how to exactly change your sensor,i suggest have the dealer to do it for you.

Gilles 12-19-2009 06:44 AM

[QUOTE=blinkwatt]I have no clue where I got this from ;)
-Remove electrical connector from precatalyst oxygen sensor.

(You may want to use PB Blaster and let it do it's job for 10 minutes on the oxygen sensor-precat/postcat meet up point) ++1

I have done it a few times and Blinkwatt post basically covers everything, it's a fairly straight forward project (easy), I would remove the tires for better access

tconnarn 02-27-2013 09:42 AM

Pelican Parts has a new book called 101 Projects for your boxster. most of the diy's are available for free on theirwebsite including o2 sensor replacement and lots of other fun stuff to do

JFlowers 09-21-2014 10:25 AM

I know this is an old post but for anyone experiencing the code for bad O2 sensor might consider replacing their gas cap first. I got the code and tried additives, etc.; none of which worked. I replaced my gas cap, cleared the code and now no more codes.

eacallo986 02-07-2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tconnarn (Post 329219)
Pelican Parts has a new book called 101 Projects for your boxster. most of the diy's are available for free on theurwebsite including o2 sensor replacement and lots of other fun stuff to do

This book is an essential reference book along with Bently Service Manual for Porsche Boxster 986.

Wild Bill 05-31-2015 12:45 AM

manuals

Yes I to have the Bentley and 101, I wish there was one more that could fill in all the gaps that those two have. But I must say they have helped me save thousands in repair bills. I overhauled my front suspension with the help of these manuals, and I also love youtube. I had a car with a rear wheel bearing going out and at that time I did not have the tools to mess with it well I wish I did have the tools because my bill was over 400 bucks, 90 for the bearing the rest labor. I said to myself this will never happen to me again and since that time I have changed four wheel bearing hubs for a total parts cost 250 this was on my Subaru's. labor cost's who knows.