Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2023, 09:15 PM   #1

Garage
Slightly ridiculous ski rack

Getting my skis in my car to drive up to Wisconsin was a bit of a clown car act. I had to open both doors and put the skis all the way through the passenger door and sticking out the driver's door. Then I had to put the tails of the skis down in the passenger's footwell, then swing the tips up between the two headrests to rest on the middle of the roll bar, and even then they only fit by about half an inch.

I saw a ski rack on a 911 once IRL or in a dream or online, and searched to buy one but found nothing that looked right. I will attach the only picture I have found that shows the general idea.

So I made a trunk mounted rack for my skis. I replicated the sole of my ski boot in wood so the skis would click into the rack the same way the boots click into the bindings when you're ready to ski. I made an angled spacer to keep the skis off the roof and trunk.

For the piece that sits on the trunk lid, I had to made relief cuts for it to follow the curve of the trunk. I lined it with an old innertube to protect the paint and used a ratcheting strap on the underside of the trunk lid to clamp it all down- superclassy! Crude but effective.

I made a leash that was secured inside the trunk in case the rack wandered or totally let go during the drive, but I was pleased to see the whole rig moved maybe 1/16" in the 2+ hours of driving. Worked great! Maybe for next year I'll make a rig to steam bend a piece of wood and skip the relief cuts, and make the rest out of one piece of wood. Thoughts?

MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:15 AM   #2

Well done!
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:29 PM   #3

I know nothing about skis, skiing, or ski racks.
But i remember the factory system.

I appreciate your ingenuity though!

Old 05-10-2023, 05:21 PM   #4

A for effort! Reminds me of this

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2023, 10:20 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
A for effort! Reminds me of this
Thanks for the A, I'm putting it on the fridge. Funny that you sent that picture. I saw this car on I-70 going to Beaver Creek this past February...
Old 05-12-2023, 12:27 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
duplicate post, sorry

Last edited by rick3000; 05-12-2023 at 12:32 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:31 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I like your ingenuity! Before I got a RTS (Root Transport System), I considered using a trunk mounted luggage rack to mount my skis at an angle like that. I decided against it because I didn't want to screw up the paint on the trunk lid. Unfortunately, the RTS's are hard to find and pricey these days.

Obligatory picture of my ridiculous roof box that makes the 986 handle like a truck with a cheap lift kit if you get up past 50mph or encounter a strong breeze. I now use the clamp style ski rack that slides into the RTS rails.

Last edited by rick3000; 05-12-2023 at 12:37 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 10:54 AM   #8

Garage
Thanks! And thanks for replying and sharing the picture. Yeah, looks like the 747 that they used to fly the space shuttle back to launch. Haven't noticed a handling difference with one pair of skis, but I was observing posted speed limits. I might make the next version for two pairs of skis.