Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2021, 04:39 AM   #1

DIY: Opening the Sealed Headlights

In case anyone else needs to know how to get your headlights apart:
https://youtu.be/SXotn-sdyLo

2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It’s been covered, but thanks.

A heat gun and cardboard box? Hopefully no one burns their house down because of your quest for YouTube fame and looks to you for answers. Best of luck.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:33 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
It’s been covered, but thanks.

A heat gun and cardboard box? Hopefully no one burns their house down because of your quest for YouTube fame and looks to you for answers. Best of luck.
I wanted to see what was going to happen, but I can never make it past the first advertisement interruption.

Here's the "it's been covered" version the PW may be referring to for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjOnfMHED0
No intro sequence? No music? No fancy transitions? No banter with the viewers? I'm amazed they even allow such unrefined drivel on YouTube still. Show me flaming boxes and 5 minute sequences of turning a bolt!

I think it will embed. Here's a try:

Old 02-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I wanted to see what was going to happen, but I can never make it past the first advertisement interruption.

Here's the "it's been covered" version the PW may be referring to for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjOnfMHED0
No intro sequence? No music? No fancy transitions? No banter with the viewers? I'm amazed they even allow such unrefined drivel on YouTube still. Show me flaming boxes and 5 minute sequences of turning a bolt!
Yes that's the version where you can't see what he's doing (not in frame), it's with a brand new headlight, and it looks much easier than it really is for the first time doing it. But you don't really care about any of that, you just want to try to put someone that's sharing information with the "community" down. Well done.
2015 Ninja 300
Old 02-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Yes that's the version where you can't see what he's doing (not in frame), it's with a brand new headlight, and it looks much easier than it really is for the first time doing it. But you don't really care about any of that, you just want to try to put someone that's sharing information with the "community" down. Well done.
I was not putting you down for "sharing with the community". The video I linked is very unrefined and that's what I was noting. I was not commenting on your video. I think that low quality non-monetized videos like Trimaxium's headlight DIY do not really belong on YouTube anymore.

Although I have not made it all the way through one of your DIY's, the portions that I have seen looked great! People like them. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:58 PM   #6

Quote:
I was not putting you down for "sharing with the community". The video I linked is very unrefined and that's what I was noting. I was not commenting on your video. I think that low quality non-monetized videos like Trimaxium's headlight DIY do not really belong on YouTube anymore.

Although I have not made it all the way through one of your DIY's, the portions that I have seen looked great! People like them. Keep up the good work.
Sorry I misinterpreted your meaning. The irony is I believe the video you linked is from Particlewave LOL
2015 Ninja 300
Old 02-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #7

Dude I love your videos. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who struggle-busses their whole way through every "first time" project!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Dude I love your videos. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who struggle-busses their whole way through every "first time" project!

Haha thanks. The struggle is real!
2015 Ninja 300
Old 02-16-2021, 05:55 PM   #9

Ain't that the damn truth though. Did you get a vice yet? I had wanted one for a while and your tranny mount video inspired me to get one! Believe it or not Walmart sells a 3.5” vice for like $30, which I thought was a steal.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #10

Nope not yet. Figured I’d wait until I get into the new garage.
2015 Ninja 300
Old 02-17-2021, 03:41 AM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I like TT's vids because it's the whole shebang. VERY FEW if not zero edits where the viewer might go, "WTF, he didn't show the hard part". I particularly like when he is attempting something for the first time and we get to see the process warts and all.

Keep up the good work, TT. And get that damned mic repaired.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I like TT's vids because it's the whole shebang. VERY FEW if not zero edits where the viewer might go, "WTF, he didn't show the hard part". I particularly like when he is attempting something for the first time and we get to see the process warts and all.

Keep up the good work, TT. And get that damned mic repaired.

Haha thanks man! That’s why I started making videos because so many people either tell you what they already did or skip over filming the hard part. That’s EXACTLY what I say when they do it... “WTF!!! That’s the only part I didn’t know how to do and you took the time to make a video and didn’t even address this!”

You don’t need to hear it if you can see it :P
2015 Ninja 300
Old 02-17-2021, 07:13 AM   #13

I'm sure this sounds cheesey but if you live near a Walmart PM me your info and I'll buy you a vice!

Old 06-26-2021, 01:20 AM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Sorry I misinterpreted your meaning. The irony is I believe the video you linked is from Particlewave LOL
Irony? Huh...

Yeah, that was a crude first video made long ago with an iPhone 4s. I made a slightly better one later. The point is moot.

I made that video (and my others) for members here that asked me to. I had no interest in making it fancy or attempting to monetize (YouTube whoring) like you do.

What irks me is people like you take hard work from people like me, put a spit shine on it and call it your own. You’re obnoxious. I don’t care what the brainless twits say.
People like this are why I don’t participate here anymore.

Keep that red light on.

Last edited by particlewave; 06-26-2021 at 01:25 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Irony? Huh...

Yeah, that was a crude first video made long ago with an iPhone 4s. I made a slightly better one later. The point is moot.

I made that video (and my others) for members here that asked me to. I had no interest in making it fancy or attempting to monetize (YouTube whoring) like you do.

What irks me is people like you take hard work from people like me, put a spit shine on it and call it your own. You’re obnoxious. I don’t care what the brainless twits say.
People like this are why I don’t participate here anymore.

Keep that red light on.
You say spit shine, I say watchable so you can tell wtf is happening. I’m sorry you’re upset that enough people find my videos incredibly useful (because they are) that YouTube started paying me after years of work with no other goal than being helpful.
2015 Ninja 300
Old 06-26-2021, 05:00 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
You say spit shine, I say watchable so you can tell wtf is happening. I’m sorry you’re upset that enough people find my videos incredibly useful (because they are) that YouTube started paying me after years of work with no other goal than being helpful.
Exactly. YouTube wants videos to be entertaining and long enough to put several advertisements in. A short, to the point video like Particlewave made, only presents how to get something done correctly. Explosions ...we need more explosions and 'this is how I tried to do it and failed' sequences.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Exactly. YouTube wants videos to be entertaining and long enough to put several advertisements in. A short, to the point video like Particlewave made, only presents how to get something done correctly. Explosions ...we need more explosions and 'this is how I tried to do it and failed' sequences.
Right?!?!
2015 Ninja 300
Old 06-26-2021, 05:11 AM   #18

Also, I don’t know why we don’t all still use electric typewriters. There was clearly no reason to improve on that concept and make it any better… PC Whores even came along later. Some people.
2015 Ninja 300
Old 06-26-2021, 06:41 AM   #19
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
This is quite likely the strangest thread on the forum. I’m not sure if the parties involved are serious, just being obnoxious or are being sarcastic. Maybe a bit of all three. Just a casual observation.

PS… what about MANUAL typewriter whores? I’m told they have really strong fingers.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
This is quite likely the strangest thread on the forum. I’m not sure if the parties involved are serious, just being obnoxious or are being sarcastic. Maybe a bit of all three. Just a casual observation.

PS… what about MANUAL typewriter whores? I’m told they have really strong fingers.
I think a bit of all 3 😂

Don’t even get me started on the manuals

2015 Ninja 300